CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   girl riders harassment survey (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/girl-riders-harassment-survey-62479/)

92seca2 03-15-2008 08:12 PM

girl riders harassment survey

Hey what's up, I'm new to the forum.
I've been riding a 92 Yamaha Seca II for two years now, and am considering the new CBR 1000. Wicked cool.

My Question Is This:
Do you get harassed a lot when riding your bike?
If so, what's happened?
Does it change depending on what you wear?

When I read this girl's post last week about nearly getting crushed by some show-offs, I was concerned and wanted to know how many other women had experienced this. Personally, I wear all black and am an admitted tomboy at heart. It's possible that this is why I never get messed with. I get the normal wave and nod from pretty much all other riders. Not only that, but other women flirt with me because, I think, they think that I'm a dude. It's entertaining actually, makes me laugh.

So anyway, I'm just curious to know what kind of reception women riders get while on the road, and if it has anything to do with what you wear. On a lighter note, it's always cool to see more girl riders as time goes by. Girl riders rock!! Peace,
-Sasha

bluerrchik 03-16-2008 09:41 AM

RE: girl riders harassment survey

Hi Sasha,
Welcome to the forum! I just started here myself. Anyways, to answer your question I have to say that I have been riding since I was 6 years old, on dirt bikes and then up to sportbikes, and have never experienced any harassment. (knock on wood) Thankfully!! I have always gotten nods or comments from guys about how cool it is to see a chick on a bike. All my guy friends think it's awesome. Having said that, I too am and always have been a tomboy and when I ride, I always wear whats most comfortable to ride in. So on top of my helmet, gloves, riding boots and jacket, I wear my most comfortable pair of jeans which is normally my loose fit or boot cut jeans. I have short hair as well, so it's hard to tell in most aspects I guess. So most of the time I think most people think I'm a dude anyway. So whatever I say. I'm not out there trying to make a statement about girls being on bikes, I am just out there riding for the love of it! I too read the post about the other girl that was harassed on the bike and I really think it's unfortunate that guys can be so ignorant and immature just because a woman is riding her own bike. At the same time, it's scary too. That situation could have been a lot worse.

I don't feel like a woman should have to wear a certain type of clothing just to ride and not be harassed. She should wear what she is most comfortable in. What she chooses to wear is up to her. So anyway, I hope this answers your question. Kudos on considering the CBR1K, an awesome bike. I considered the 1K at some point, but figured the 600RR is fast enough for me! :DI can get hurt on a 600 just like I can a 1000. Plus, I got a great deal on the 600rr. Let me know what you decide on, it's nice to see someone actually get a Honda instead of a suzuki. Everyone around here is crazy about gixxers and it drives me up the wall to a point. [:'(] IMO, they're overrated!!

Later.....post some pics when you get the 1K!!!!

Juliet 03-16-2008 10:16 AM

This is what happened to me...

https://cbrforum.com/m_495720/tm.htm

I'm told I look like a girl on a bike and can't be mistaken for a guy....thought that might go in my favour..you know kinda expecting to be treated with a bit more respect but it didn't seem to make any difference... :-(

It's never happend before and seems to have been a one off...I've had lads cheer me at lights and things but they are just having fun...usually I just smile and wave and they toot their hoons and wave back :-)

I was quite a way out from my village and the light was just about gone...I was so so scared...

Jules

92seca2 03-16-2008 10:41 AM

Yeah, I get the exact same reception. I ride solo most the time, but sometimes I ride with my boyfriend, so when we make a stop people assume we rode on the same bike. He tells them what he's got, and then tells them what I've got. It's as if they had the carpet pulled out from under them by their reaction to a girl riding her own bike. I take no offense however, and in fact I take it as a compliment.

What happened to the other girl kinda scares me though. I've heard all sorts of stories and seen videos of bike crashes, so I know the risk I'm taking when I ride. Maybe it's just the guys in her area that are like that. I mean, virtually all riders out here in South FL are stupid, but I just stay away from everyone and they don't bother me.

About that new CBR1000, at first I thought it looked weird and had been looking into the Interceptor instead (which I think is a 900cc). I went up to Daytona last Saturday for the race and to check out the bikes, and under the Honda tent they had the Interceptor and a CBR600. I went to sit on the Interceptor first and it just felt way too bulky for me. I'm sure I could handle it just fine, it was just the physical size of it that was too much. It's nice though. Then I walked over to the new CBR600 and sat on that. Wow, that is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on. It's contoured for your whole body. It weighs the same as my SecaII and its actual size felt right. Everything about it was super comfy.

I'll definitely keep my old bike when I get a new one. I know the CBR1000 is about $12K. The 600 is awesome, but I want something that has more power. I kinda like how they integrated the turn signals and the mirrors. Whenever I've gone into bike shops and sat on them, it was always the Hondas that were the most comfortable. Yeah, I don't know what the obsession is about gixxers. Everyone and their mom has one.

Vermino 03-16-2008 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 92seca2
I'll definitely keep my old bike when I get a new one. I know the CBR1000 is about $12K. The 600 is awesome, but I want something that has more power. I kinda like how they integrated the turn signals and the mirrors. Whenever I've gone into bike shops and sat on them, it was always the Hondas that were the most comfortable. Yeah, I don't know what the obsession is about gixxers. Everyone and their mom has one.
[[I try to keep out of this section because it is for the girls - but just need to throw out two things.]]

well First, I understand the female ratio on motorcycles is very low compared to males which makes seeing a woman on a bike a rare find. I know for the most-part of male bike riders try to give the best impression when seeing the opposite sex riding by - not because of maybe a physical attractionbut rather show that it's nice to see a woman loving the sport like we do. Now I can't say every guy will actually be a gentleman and just wave or nod - I know some squids that will become the primitive caveman and try to show what they can do. I know there is not much anyone can do in a situation when someone is showing-offand you trying to let him read the "f**k off" label onyour head (let me get to it before you take offense) Just like tailgaters, speeders, road-ragers, DUI's - you can try to avoid them as much as you can but sooner or later your going to have one confront you.*sighs*

Now don't think guys get off easy when riding a motorcycle - I've been in juliet's position a couple of times when a guy speeding up and slow down next to me(itching me to race or something). I try to show them my "f**koff" label but somepeopleseem blind at times. I've hadkidsthatsignalwith hands for a wheelie and even beencalled a "pussy" for notdoing one at a stop-light.I've also had people follow me all the way to my house a couple of times(i'm paranoid, so i know when someone is following me) and you dont know if it's because they like your bike, think your a friend or something, or just want to steal it or kill you.

It's as if they had the carpet pulled out from under them by their reaction to a girl riding her own bike. I take no offense however, and in fact I take it as a compliment.
as you should take it as a compliment, because we are in "aw" from respect.Alot of women like to "ride" on a bike but don't have the intentions of buying one.Butthat's the best part about owning a motorcycle - motorcyclist respect you, whoever you are.

But with anything, your gonna have the good with the bad - I can believe women have a harder time with kids in their little rice burners wanting to see you race them or show-off like they are gonna get a piece of you later on tonight. But you also get those guys that pull up to ya at a stoplight and just say "nice bike.." and are very respectful to you. So it's all about taking the good with the bad.

Does it change depending on what you wear?
I can see how a Icon pink Rogue jacket with Icon pink cowgal pants could make any man drool because they are just thinking "whoever wears pink, must be hot.." So yeah, but between motorcyclist - we show more respect to women then to our own gender (kind-of like seeing a law enforcement on a motorcycle, you show more courtesy because you know what they go thru every-day and then on a motorcycle on top of that) So just wear what's you feel comfortable in, But if you do go pink/white you will get alot more lookers.

Ok here's the Second thing,

I know the CBR1000 is about $12K.
I dont know what year your buying and from what dealership, you should be able to get it to $10K for a 06' CBR1K easily. When a dealership says they won't drop below MSRP just give them the finger and leave

92seca2 03-16-2008 07:55 PM

Thanks for the male perspective on the issue, Vermino. I hope you didn't take offense to it. I'd had such a positive experience while riding that I was curious to know what it was like for other girls out there. I guess we all run into the stupid kids from time to time, no matter who we are.

Actually I'm looking to get the new 08 CBR1000 RR, which isn't out yet. I got the $12K price off their website, but that's less than it'll be after tax/tags/fees. Unless you're saying I can find that same bike for only 10K...now that would be something. Tell me about your CBR1K though - how does it differ from the 600?

Vermino 03-16-2008 11:59 PM

*sneaks in for one last time*

well like i said, MSRP is bull - but because it's the new 08' and it just came out, they "will" stick to MSRP. It's kind-of like buying new technology right when it comes out, it could be $3,000 the first couple of weeks and then it drops to $2,000. dealerships just don't really show the price-tag, they keep it at MSRP and hope to catch a someone for it. So if your gonna buy one right when it comes out, your gonna pay top dollar (plus because summer is almost here too). Make sure when your haggling them down you are talking "Out the door price" too, they will say sh*t like "ok how about we drop it to $11,500?" then when they make up the paper-work it adds $500 to paperwork,tags and blah blah..

I bought my 06' CBR1K last year in october (so it was on the showroom for over 7 months or so), that's how i got it for around $9,750 cash Out the door.

If you really dont know the difference from 1Krr and a 600cc, well it depends on what you like to do. If you like twisties and really leaning into your turn and throwing your bike around, i suggest a 600cc (plus it's nice on the insurance if your in a big city like las vegas too) now if you live in a big city and kind-of like the feel of horsepower well the 1Krr is a nice bike, it's harder to manuever in turns but it's nice to just cruise around on. If i had to do it over again, i would of picked a 600cc if they had blue/yellow scheme (that's why i picked the 1Krr) after i found out my insurance quote doubled because of the cc's of the bike, i kind-of got pissed off.. but that's the price you pay for power.

Now that i see the flat-black graffetti cbr600, i seriously want to buy one because i'm not a big fan of the re-vamping of 1Krr and if they do it to 600cc next year i want the old re-vampd model. (it's just not my cup of tea)
but figure out how much the insurance will be on a 1krr and a 600cc and go from there.

ok, i need to get out of here before the mod's put me in cbr jail [8D]

*sneaks back out*

:whispers: good luck on the new bike

Juliet 03-17-2008 03:58 AM

ok, i need to get out of here before the mod's put me in cbr jail [8D]

*sneaks back out*

Nice perspective thanks... :-) *grabs you by the collar*... "and just where do you think you're sneaking off to huh?"...*takes you to the ladies lounge jail at gunpoint* ... we'll decide what to do with you later ;-)...lol

Jules

pitsvtec 03-17-2008 07:35 PM

I've gottne harrassed by girls and guys....girls think I'm a dude and guys get stupid. One time a guy gave me a piece of paper that said "want to take me for a ride" and his number. I wasn't impressed!

92seca2 03-18-2008 10:43 AM

pitsvtec,
Wait, what did the girls do to harass you?