CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   buying my first bike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/buying-my-first-bike-55028/)

kcundle 11-29-2007 02:13 PM

buying my first bike

Ok, so I am really interested in buying a sport bike. I have ridden with my boyfriend a few times as a passenger and loved it, but now I want my own. I am 5’7 and I really feel comfortable sitting on the CBR600rr, but I am afraid (and people have said) that it might be too powerful for a first bike. People have said that I should start off on a 250, but at the same time everyone says I will get bored with it. I have taken the safety courses, and feel pretty comfortable riding. Would I being making a bid mistake by just starting off with a 600rr? Any suggestions? Any tips and ideas would be awesome too...

ajhundley3 11-30-2007 05:15 PM

RE: buying my first bike

My first bike was and still is a 600rr. I am only 5 foot. It is a scary thing at first. My nerves were so bad. This is my first year riding so I still have alot to learn. Coming from a noob just take your time. Never bite off more than you can chew!!!! I know you heard that before but I cant stress that enough. You are going to drop the bike a few times. Just don't let fear conquer you. I felt comfrotable on the 250 at the class too. A 600 rr feels so different.

BarqueCat 12-05-2007 04:35 PM

I learned to ride an 88 Honda Hawk NT650. My first bike was a CBR600. Ten years later I still have a CBR600 and love it. It isn't too big a bike at all. Remember that us ladies tend to be a little more conservative and have good throttle control :) You don't have to use all those ponies, and the 600 is very well mannered. You are tall enough that it shouldn't need to be lowered and you should be fine even on a hill at a red light because you can actually touch the ground <chuckle>
You have already taken the safety class, and I'd say you don't need to buy a 250 to start off with - you'd outgrow it in a couple of months.

Good luck and have fun!

radbox 12-07-2007 10:32 AM

If you have already taken the course and are comfortable riding then I would say go with the 600. Why buy a 250 that you are going to get tired of quickly? Then you have to sell it and start over. I learned on a 600f4i. It was scary and I did drop it twice but it didnt take long before I got the hang of it. Now I am glad that I didnt go the 250 route. I learned just fine on the 600.

txf4igirl 12-08-2007 06:36 PM

I have to agree with barque and radbox - if you've already taken the courses and are comfortable riding then you will be just fine on a 600rr. My first ride is a 600F4i and while the throttle isn't as touchy as the rr it still has plenty of pickup. The 600 bikes are a great all around size, especially for the smaller females :-)

Acara1796 12-09-2007 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BarqueCat

I learned to ride an 88 Honda Hawk NT650.
The NT650 is a great starter bike. Light, agile, fun simple naked sportbike. If my daughter had decided to get a MC license it would be the bike I would put her on first. (she shows no interest so the NT is another track bike)

The one thing to rememeber is the 600RRs have ALOT of horsepower. The F2 can scare me and it is slow in comparision to the new ones. It is a good scare :) and I'm generally just on track with it.

sixshooter989 12-20-2007 03:02 PM

I would have to disagree,i ride a 1000rr and in no way shape or form is a 600rr a starter bike. Yes it may be true that some of you started on one and got away with it,but it's got to much power for someone that is just starting. I've seen a bunch of people that took the riding course and passed,but they were still terrible riders. Yes you may get bored with a 250 or it may be perfect for you,but it will be easy to get rid of,and they are alot cheaper. Do you really wanna drop your nice 600rr and mess it up? Dont be miss lead by the numbers on the bike. Take two equal riders and put them on a track with alot of curves,one can be on a 600rr and the other on a 1000rr and the 600 will win. The 1000rr has almost twice the power,and is way faster in the straights but the 600 will beat him in the curves every time. So dont feel like a wuss for getting a smaller bike. The ninja 250 is a fun bike with enough power for the average beginer,and the ninja 500 is also a good beginer bike,and it's light so you might not drop it.

Acara1796 12-21-2007 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: sixshooter989

I would have to disagree,i ride a 1000rr and in no way shape or form is a 600rr a starter bike. Yes it may be true that some of you started on one and got away with it,but it's got to much power for someone that is just starting. I've seen a bunch of people that took the riding course and passed,but they were still terrible riders. Yes you may get bored with a 250 or it may be perfect for you,but it will be easy to get rid of,and they are alot cheaper. Do you really wanna drop your nice 600rr and mess it up? Dont be miss lead by the numbers on the bike. Take two equal riders and put them on a track with alot of curves,one can be on a 600rr and the other on a 1000rr and the 600 will win. The 1000rr has almost twice the power,and is way faster in the straights but the 600 will beat him in the curves every time. So dont feel like a wuss for getting a smaller bike. The ninja 250 is a fun bike with enough power for the average beginer,and the ninja 500 is also a good beginer bike,and it's light so you might not drop it.
+1

Oh so many years ago my first street bike was the 78' CB400 Hawk. (early 80s - ugg showing my age again)