CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   ALWAYS ON THE BACK (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/always-back-45573/)

hot mammi 07-25-2007 06:50 PM

ALWAYS ON THE BACK

OK ME AND MY HUSBAND ALWAYS SEEM TO BUMP HEADS ABOUT HIM LEAVING ON HIS BIKE AND LEAVING ME AT HOME OR WHEN I GET TO RIDE IT'S NOT THAT FAR. I LOVE RIDING WITH HIM ,BUT I JUST WANNA BUY MY OWN BUT HE WONT TEACH TILL I BUY MINE DO YOU THINK IT'S OKAY FOR ME TO BUY ONE FIRST

kittswife 07-25-2007 07:05 PM

RE: ALWAYS ON THE BACK

Seems like the obvious thing to do is to go get yourself a decent used 250. It's easy to maneuver, very first-timer friendly, and completely disposable, since once you actually learn how to ride you'll be bored with it, (maybe, maybe not). Oh, and don't have your husband teach you how to ride, sign up for an MSF course together if you want, the instructors are really nice and you'll learn a lot, very valuable stuff, plus you won't have the added stress and frustration that can come from an overbearing husband trying to teach you. Trust me!
I used to love riding with my husband on the back of his until I learned for myself and got my own...I started on a 250, had it for a season, got bored with it and upgraded to a 2001 CBR 600 F4i, which I love.
We need more women riders, go out there and get yourself one and sign up for the course!
Good Luck! Oh, and don't forget the gear. Always wear your gear. It just might save your life!
Safe Riding!!!

josephalter 08-21-2007 10:14 PM

RE: ALWAYS ON THE BACK

kittswife has given you perfect advice. Do exactly what she just said.

I bought a 600, and went riding with friends who already knew what they were doing. I failed with the clutch/throttle and got violentlythrownoffon my second day of riding. I got scraped up and I'll have scars for many years, if not for the rest of my life. I was not wearing gear, and I got lucky that I did not break anything or worse yet hit my head on anything.

Riding is a learned skill, like anything else. Don't learn in an uncontrolled environment, and try to learn in an environment that is most friendly and accomodating. The open road is a hard place to learn, even if your husband is the best teacher, you are the best learner, and your luck is superb. I would still tell you to do the freaking course with an instructorwho is completely neutral and will see your strengths/weaknesses and help you learn to do what you need to do.

I am a man with a hardened personality and it doesn't hurt me much to carry these scars, but I wouldn't wish them on any other man and certainly wouldn't want to see or hear of a woman laid up in the bed rithing in pain from road rash like me.

Motorcycles are unlike anything else, they are very thrilling and it would be great for you to experience that completely for yourself. I'm sure the back of your hubby's bike is fun but its gotta be a lot different from carving out your path in the roads for yourself.