The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Will shop for new car in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will shop for new car in 2013

Any thoughts or experience with considered cars appreciated. Current 4 wheel ride is a 02 Mini Cooper. I will stay with a small hatchback, the hit list is: VW GTI 4dr, Subaru WRX 5 door, or maybe a Ford Focus ST. All in the hot hatch category, all have high fun to drive factor and all optioned in at under $30K with the Focus being better discounted at end of model year prices.
The VW is kinda the benchmark for the group. Longstanding class leader in many respects. The WRX offers all wheel drive but snow is a very part-time consideration but it is the largest of the bunch and offers the most utility. Ford is doing a lot of things right with their vehicles these days and it's hard to ignore the ST's eco-boost HP and the lower price. I tend to keep cars a long while so durability is also high on the priorities. Let me know if you guys are driving any of these and what you think. I don't plan to rush out and may even wait till next fall when the end of year sales return.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i engage in a fair bit of business travel, and end up getting to "test drive" a variety of models via car rentals. in the most generic sense, i have to say that i've been impressed with recent ford models and my opinion of that brand has improved. i sort of have no leaning good or bad toward vw - not bad but not exciting i guess (i think their popularity is tied to 'trendiness' more so than other brands), and i can't recall ever being in a subaru but my unsubstantiated guess is that the overall TCO would be lower on a domestic model (however subaru owners seem to love them.)

Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like your Mini how going for a Clubman? A little more roomy.

Loved every GTI I've ever driven.

A friend has an older WRX. Hoo Boy, is it fun to drive.

I lusted after a Focus SVT back in the day.

If utility is not the most important factor, I've been researching the new Dodge Dart.

Looks fun at a good price

Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

How about the VW Scirocco? It looks much better than the VW Golf but is the same chassis.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
How about the VW Scirocco? It looks much better than the VW Golf but is the same chassis.
VW didn't bring the Scirocco to the US market. I thought that was the next size class larger. I saw one in Spain and liked it but I read if they brought it to the USA it was going to be really pricey.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM

What about a Passat Wagon? Basically an A4 Audi in Wolfsburg clothing

Last edited by wooferdog; 02-26-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

A co-worker has a new one. Very nice but looking for a little more sport. Length is also a consideration as I don't want to take space away from CBR space in the garage. The Passat wagon is about 179", the WRX is 174"

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mazda 3 series might be another to consider. ive got the 5 door 2.0 skyactiv version averaging 34mpg combined. and they have the mazdaspeed version if the econobox route isnt what youre after.

the wrx was also on my list but i needed more economy and mpg, and less turbo drinking my wallet dry.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM

The wife drives a 09 Mazda3 sedan. It's been a good ride and reliable too. The only complaints are interior fabrics are lesser quality and I want another inch back in the driver seat travel. The speed3 is still on the short list, just don't like the style on the front end.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Let's see now. Compact, sporty and doesn't have a large garage footprint.

Here's the car for you

Quick Reply: Will shop for new car in 2013