why are harley guys assholes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great story.

Ken here's my dilemma half of my lot kick with the left
the rest with the right .

Last edited by Sprock; 05-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of 'Harley guys' around here, the prevalent motorcycle in this area, we 'crotch rocket' riders, as we are usually called, ("Is that one of them there crotch rockets?") are the minority.

All pretty good guys, even the ones flying colors. We joke ("do you run brown or white rice in that thing?") and one of the guys tell others in the group that my Hurricane makes his bike seem like it's only running on 2 cylinders.

One guys was following me on a pretty twisty road and of course I promptly left him behind. I had to wait 2 minutes for him to finally catch up to me, but the kool thing is, when he did finally catch up he said "man that thing can really take the curves can't it?"

So I can't lump all Harley riders as a**holes, sorry.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 AM

There you go. You should have reminded him he only has 2 cylinders...

Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 PM

I think a few of them know that. At least it's a possibility.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM

I'll second that CBR Classic. All of it.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM

As an American, I think it's a cryin' shame that we can't build in the modern day, a bike that give a 24 year old Hurricane a run for its money (without Jap parts). Even at 10 times the cost. Oh wait, their was that Buell attempt, but it's clear what happened to that idea. It's surprising we all aren't driving John Deere's to work (not that I'd mind).

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm sure we COULD do that, and even at a reasonable price, but just jumping into an industry that complex and knowledge intensive is not only prohibitively (literally) expensive, it is a GIGANTIC risk. Huge money on huge risk is hard to get together. Too imprudent for those with the cash. They like safer bets. I mean, just one embarrassing misstep up front and you kill the panache of your brand and become a joke, and then you die.

Oddly that's what Harley has going for it. Their brand is so strong and desirable, that there are no screw-up that can kill it. And honestly, since the new engine several years back they have a lot more power and reliability now. They're just cruisers. Different goal than a Closed Body Racer.

Last edited by JHouse; 05-22-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 AM

"Most of the time ,they can only sit there and try to look tough , while we go blasting by caring only about how great it feels to be in control of a real power house that feels under control , goes like hell , handles great in near any road situations and generally really commands the roads , not just the public eye !!!!!!"
Whats fun to watch is when an HD tries to out run you. I have had these guys come up then use both sides of a four lane (two each way) to pass at speed on a mountain road.. At that point I just let them go. ok You win, I only want to be an observer when you get caught 'out there'. I happen to know I can run a 90 -100 all day and my bike feels like it's just cruising.Makes me sing inside my helmet.Only thing I have to be concerned with is gasoline,I need a break before it does.
I'm one of those people that will speak when I pass any person, if they don't speak back, no biggie. Same with the wave,I'll wave out of pure joy at someone I think is having a similar experience. Don't wave back? no biggie,doesn't affect my thing at all.You're a tough guy (?) I've known some real tough guys(and girls) in my decadent upbringing.My oldest daughter is married to an ex-Navy seal. Nicest guy you could meet. In all of it, life is a performance industry.Aint about the noise you make.Specific to this thread, our bikes win,no problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM

I have found in around 35 years of motorcycling and owning all nationalities of bikes, that the HD riders with attitudes are not the 1%ers, but weekend riders and wanna-bes. They have no real knowledge of the sport and live through a false idea of badassedness. Real bikers, patch holders, etc. Usually don't mess with you unless you give them ****. They understand the two wheel thing. Funny thing, sometimes the wanna be badasses just sold a small Asian bike to get a "real" motorsikle. Same guys who make fun of Sportsters as girls bike, when that bike has the only real race history after WWII..........

Quick Reply: why are harley guys assholes?