The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Who likes guns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who likes guns?

Since several people around here have mentioned guns, I figured I'd share my other hobby (next to the cane, of course), and see who else shares my interests.

I started shooting at a very young age, and used to hunt a lot. I don't hunt so much anymore, but still get my license every year and go out a couple times.
However, I'm a member of a hunting/fishing club and can be found on the pistol and rifle ranges quite regularly. I've got a little collection of guns, and was wondering if anyone else here shares my "other" hobby.

Here's a pic of one I bought a couple months ago. It's a Springfield Mil-Spec SS 1911A1. I put some custom dalmation ebony grips on it, just to make it stand out a bit:
Name:  dalebonygripsL.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  48.4 KB

And here's a Bushmaster Patrolman's M4 I picked up for fun. It's much more accurate than I expected. I use it mainly for range plinking and varmint shooting. I also have a Colt 6721 that is similar:
Name:  bushyM4-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  49.7 KB

I'm currently looking for a 4" SS Ruger GP100 in .357mag because I'm lacking in the wheel-gun department.
So, who likes to shoot?
Also, if anybody with a 'cane in PA (or near me) who likes to ride AND shoot... maybe we can get together for a ride and a range trip!!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for your information, this is a hunting gun:

Attached Thumbnails Who likes guns?-lappen-043kopia.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator - Retired

Nevada, I own many guns, these are just a couple...

I have many bolt guns and shotguns, too. The two above are just my most recent additions to the collection. We can't hunt with semi-autos here in PA, except for "hunting" varmints and such.
I've been shooting trap for years, too. I don't really have a dedicated SXS trap gun anymore, but use longer pump guns. I used to shoot for a nearby team, but... well... I quit because I was dating the daughter of one of the club's "higher ups" and it didn't really work out (to say the least )

I think I'm gonna join my current club's team soon, though. They are just a bit intimidating because they were winning tournaments all last year, so they must be pretty darn good.

I've always heard there was some good shooting out in your area.

Mike, just for your information...
that's a nice rifle!
I have a few similar set-ups. I have a Rem700 in 30-06 that's a good shooter!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is sure to bring out the gun loby and those against, so let's keep it to a sensible discussion OK all.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator - Retired

Nevada, I like the Rem 788, too. Never had the chance to shoot one. Nice guns, though!

That's funny you have family where you do. My immediate family lives in south central PA (like me), but all the rest live up north. I was born in Greenville, PA and all my family is from Erie, Meadville, Youngsville, Warren area! I've been to Sharon many times, as well as every other town you listed! My dad was born in Youngsville, and my mom in Meadville. They met at Edinboro University. I've been to a lot of Cleveland, Ohio sporting events (mostly Indians, some Browns).
I also have an Uncle that just moved from S.F. to Martinez, CA a couple of years ago. Ever heard of See's candies? That's my great, great, great grandmother!
We just visited my uncle in SF 2 summers ago and made our way down through AZ, NV, etc. Very different world for sure!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's her on the box. Same pictures in the factory. My last name is See, by the way. Never knew her,obviously, but plenty after her! Last I checked, there were only like 2800 See's in the US. Not sure of the number now. You know that famous "I love Lucy" episode in the candy factory? That was the factory.
My grandparents lived in Irvine, CA for years, too.

Martinez is a beautiful area! We took a ride down RT1 while we were there. I liked the Bolinas area a lot. I generally hate hippie types, but something about loose dogs and open cases of Red Tail Ale makes me happy.

If I'm ever out that way, I'll definately look you up. I can drink the hell out of some Jager. (and White Russians, too, for that matter.... the Dude Abides...got any creamer?)

Well, a gun thread took a strange turn...

Sounds like you're a regular carrier. I know I am. I've fallen for the whole "pocket gun" trend here lately. I used to carry strictly glocks and the occasional Smith M&P9C, but here lately I've been lazy just slipping a little LCP in my pocket. Neat little .380, really.. just so small!
Everybody is getting crazy over the presidential scare here lately. I'm glad I reload! Or should I say... I'm glad I reload and was stocked up before this happened. Primers are just flying off the shelves. Freakin' craziness! Same with ammo..

Quick Reply: Who likes guns?