The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Who knows something about Jags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows something about Jags?

Was looking today at a very low mileage X Type. But I noticed the under bonnet colour was white; whilst the exterior color was silver.

The owner tried to assure me that was standard practice back in early 2000's . Does anyone know if he is just taking the urine?

At the end of the day; it is a 2002 car, with only 30 000 kms on it, so probably worth a serious look?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Every x type I have seen here in the US the carpet matched the drapes. In other words, the engine compartment was the same color as the car.

If you look at the paint code on the door sticker, you will find out what its supposed to be. The white code is NEG, while the two silver color codes start with M.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take your key and scratch the topside of the bonnet. If there's white under there you have your answer

Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Damn good idea. But why stop there? Keep digging at the doors and scratching at the hind quarters.
Kick the tires with the force of the hammer of Thor while yelling out as loud as possible, "SHE SEAMS TO BE SOLID".

Keep kicking and pretend to miss kicking squarely into the doors and fenders. Keep kicking and yelling until all body panels are bent. Its the only was to know if there is any bondo in it.

Edit: I did a search and found that Jaguar, to cut cost, left the engine bay unpainted at times. You are looking at primer without the top coat. There are most likely other areas on the car left unpainted. The robot would not be programmed to hit them with the top coat. I bet if you pulled the door panels off they too would be only primed. An off white primer vs silver top coat would not be so obvious as a dark green finish so I think they would get painted in the engine bay but who knows where else the robot would not lay the finish paint.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 10-21-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:11 PM

+1 for the above.

What about in the boot? Same?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:41 AM

Thanks for all the the informed and witty replies.

I will obviously do further investigation as things move forward.

This whole "Buying a Jag" drama is very fraught. The good lady wife and I went out looking for a wee hatchback for her. Spotted a nice wee Kia at a reasonable price, so she comes home and gets on the net to do a price comparo.

Unfortunately "J" is quite close to "K" when you're trawling through internet cars for sale.

So, she spots a very low mileage S type in Christchurch; and suddenly randomly decides that we need a Jag in our life again. I engage in conversation with the seller (who lives overseas and has the car in storage). Quite happy to offer full price, but he suddenly decides that he doesn't want to sell it till Feb because he's coming back to NZ for three months in November (why did you advertise it????).

I was bitching to one of our clients about it (that I know is a bit of car nut (16 and counting, several in museums)) and he mentioned that he had an X Type sitting around doing F all. 30 000km is bugger all, and it is a very nice piece of kit.

So; lessons learned:

1) Don't let your wife go on the internet looking for Kia, she will come back with Jaguar.

2) If buying a Jag, try to avoid dealing with Jag owners, they seem to have quite a strict set of rules for who they will allow to buy their Jag off them.

3) I still like the S Type better, but now kiwiJKs wife has got involved in the mix and has expressed a desire in the local X-type (to go with their other three Jags).

Funny old thing cars, aren't they? We all have our desires, and some of us are lucky enough to be at that age and stage in life where we can make it happen. But to be fair, late 90's , early 2000's Jags are not expensive cars.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You got to be like an alligator waiting for something to break the surface of the water. Waiting will pay off.

Time for a little story in the saloon:

I bought a repo from a bank for $2,000 ('83 Toyota Supra). I drove it for 3 years and listed it for $4,200. A guy came over to look at it and said he like it. The next day he came back and said (loudly enough for my ex to hear) "So here's the $4,000 we agreed upon. I took the money. When the guy left, my ex went off on me. "Why you stupid a$$hole, you let that guy walk all over you. That's why I handle the money around here."

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 10-23-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
You got to be like an alligator waiting for something to break the surface of the water. Waiting will pay off.

Time for a little story in the saloon:

I bought a repo from a bank for $2,000 ('83 Toyota Supra). I drove it for 3 years and listed it for $4,200. A guy came over to look at it and said he like it. The next day he came back and said (loudly enough for my ex to hear) "So here's the $4,000 we agreed upon. I took the money. When the guy left, my ex went off on me. "Why you stupid a$$hole, you let that guy walk all over you. That's why I handle the money around here."
Boys and girls, the important part of this little story is that it was his "ex" that talked smack to brother TBT. :-)

Ex's, you can't live with them, you can't hide them a hole in the back yard.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 PM

"Ex's, you can't live with them, you can't hide them a hole in the back yard."

....and despite what you hear, I DID NOT have mine deported back to Norway.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:27 AM

TBT , perhaps an important lesson why we shouldn't get let wives too much involved in this whole car buying thing.

A Supra bought and sold for way more than you paid for it?

I bet you would have way more than $2 000 worth of fun in it, in the time that you owned it.

An excellent deal as far as I'am concernded

Quick Reply: Who knows something about Jags?