The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What do you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you drive?

So.... I know you all ride sweet CBRs, but what do you drive when you aren't riding?
I love cars and trucks, too, so I'm interested to know what you have and if you like it, love it, or hate it.

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (4dr, 5sp, 4X4).
It's awesome. I have beaten the living chit out of it and it always comes back for more. I bought it at an auction for like $2500 in almost perfect shape with 90k miles on it. I have 145k miles on it now, and I've done nothing to it but regular maintenance (and not as much as I should). If they still made them, I'd probably buy a new one.

I also have a 1995 Toyota 4X4 pickup (automatic). I just bought it about a year ago, and I don't really like it at all. It's underpowered, cramped, and I don't really like the interior design. It has 33" tires and is lifted 3". It goes ok in 4x4, but the gas mileage sucks for for being so gutless. I've had a few mechanical/electrical problems, too. I think I'm gonna sell it this fall.

My third vehicle is my 1990 Civic Si. It's been a GREAT little car. Excellent mileage, handles well, and basically NO maintenance in the 150k miles I've owned it. It's a Honda.

My wife has a 2010 Corolla S. It's perfect for her, really. All the cool new modern chit, good gas mileage, handles ok, and looks "pretty". lol..

I like my old clunkers, though... and no car payments.

So what do you have?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded my '02 Explorer for an '09 Escape, which is all I need now. It'll pull my enclosed trailer and we tow it behind our 38' motorhome. For cruisin', we take my '66 GTO, had it since 1987........go to alot of local shows and cruise nites. Wife has a new 5 series BMW, to oluxary for me. She just returned her leased Z4 roadster, which at least was fun to drive.

For other 2-wheeled fun, I ride the '06 VTX 1300

Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy I work with has had an escape for a few years now and our PR woman just bought one last week. They both like 'em.

'66 GTO, eh? That's cool. I passed up a '67 Chevelle SS a few years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it. It was mint. Full restore with a brand new 427, and the guy only wanted $12k for it.
He owned a hotrod shop and was my sister's best friend's dad. I told him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell it. He gave me first crack at it, and I dropped the ball big time.

My other 2 wheel fun is an '09 KLR650.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My other ride is a GPZ900R
Car ? Huh ?
Sold my Mercedes (never used it - 380SE) Had some nice ones over the years incl a 1965 E-Type Jaguar.......................
If I need 4 wheels, I have a Nissan ........it's a reliable piece of junk..............

Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ride to work is a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6. It does the job and is a great mile muncher , but it's never gonna get your heart poundin'! In the states I think it's a baby Cadillac?

I'd like to get something smaller and more economical (the price of gas has just gone up again here in the UK), but hopefully something a bit more fun , maybe an old MX5 or Toyota Celica , neither of which is my first choice but the price of petrol/gas is getting stupid .

If I could use the bike for work I'd sell the car and be more than happy . As it stands , the Omega refuses to die , it's been a good car and has cost nothing above usual service/consumables. It's more economical/green to keep this car on the road than change it for another.

My wife used to drive a Mini (the real one). Great fun , but rust buckets and the big scrapyard in the sky took it in the end. She cried when they towed her baby away.

Now she has a Renault Megan Scenic , another boring piece of **** , but it does the job.

TBH I lost all interest in my households' cars when I bought the bike , it's all I can do to bring myself to wash my car and service it . To me it's just a box with wheels now , functional and nothing else . Maybe if I could afford a great fast car I'd feel differently , but I think I'd rather spend the money on another couple of cool bikes

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KilgoreTrout .............crazy LOL...........when I can which is always

really

Volvo S80 ...well engineered, safe , reliable and a great highway cruiser also very comfortable. Work on it myself ...have a bluetooth interface for
it so I can do most of the stealership computer crap to it ...software updates etc..........basically a drive by wire car.

The wife has a Ford Explorer.............now that pos .........is a bloomin'
pain in the azz.........just put a cam chain tensioner in it on the front.
(sound familiar) well this piece of junk is so hard to time up properly
it 's giving me gawdammed hell...........I 'm about ready to light the
bitch up and push it off a cliff very soon. Friggin Ford .......an engine
with no timing marks .......you have to buy a 175 $ timing tool kit....
and it's still unreal to time up right.

Other than that a big 23 hp Lawn Tractor and 4 Boats .......Big into outboard motors too.............what can I say !

Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow
My other ride is a GPZ900R
Car ? Huh ?
Sold my Mercedes (never used it - 380SE) Had some nice ones over the years incl a 1965 E-Type Jaguar.......................
If I need 4 wheels, I have a Nissan ........it's a reliable piece of junk..............
I'm with you on that one Pete. I've had a Porsche 924S4 , TVR , BMW , Jag and MG , nothing comes close to my bike . I can't remember who's sig it is , but it says 4 wheels move the body , 2 wheesl move the soul!

Though I must say , the Porsche made excellent sense in Europe , it was like a time machine , but clinical. However a entertaining alternative to flying

Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Holden Commodore, an old 87 model Ford ute for work and my two other bikes are an 03 bird and a 92 FZR 1000.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve-o please tell me that's an offshore fishing boat on the grass !!!I see rodholders ! Yeehoo !
I spent 18 years just about every weekend on what we call "ski-boats" here, catching Queen mackerel, Dorado, Sailfish, barracuda, King mackerel, and even had a marlin strike once - got off.......
Been building boat rods for years - not much lately. My last boat was an 18ft cat with 2x80HP Yamaha's. Sold it about 4 years back, but still miss it.....

Quick Reply: What do you drive?