The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Somebody talk me out of this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious to know why no engine pics? A '72 in America can show up in two forms. The traditional "upright" of early type I or type II origins or the flat "suitcase" type IV motor. Type I/II motors to 1800 are probably bored, but not likely stroked. You can buy big barrels and stroke those motors past 2100 cc. A '72 type I motor is going to be a dual port intake manifold. Inspect the rubber boots between the heads and the carb junction. One to each side.

The type IV, came in early 60's notchbacks, some Ghias, squarebacks and fastback varients and evolved into those pesky wasserboxers of the 90's. If it's claimed to be a '72 1800. It's probably, in my estimation, a type IV motor. Suitcase style type IV motors are not bad but offer less in performance type enhancements and are not my favorite sewing machine.

If mine, I'd look to put a Subaru SVX or WRX motor in that thing. There's a shop in Tacoma that does that swap. Screaming performance in your Vanagon.

Check the floor pans and especially the central heater tunnel. Common places for corrosion. You'll need a decent, if not impossible to find, rust free donor car to replace that stuff and I have never found a supplier who re-pops that stuff. Pans yes, heater tunnels no

Look at the heat exchangers off the exhausts. Replaceable, but badly corroded ones can kill you.

That ugly, ill-fitting muffler can hanging off the back tells me there is/was crap care by the PO's, but the rest of the pics tell the same story IMO

Inspect the fiberglass with a keen, and I mean keen eye, for ANY cracks. 50 year old uncared for 'glass is a direct vacuum for your bankbook even if you want to teach yourself the skill. Not only cracks but de-laminating as well. Not just on the surface but underneath the skin. Wheelwells and rocker panels. Don't be afraid to to poke it with a screwdriver. I've seen many a Alfa Romeo that looked sweet in a Re-sale Red paint job and there wasn't much but rust under that fresh paint. Be prepared to walk away.

Have we talked about electrics?

Whoosh! That's the sound of your wallet being sucked empty.

Caveat Emptor, my friend.

Scratch the dog behind the ears for me

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-18-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Becuase i do
Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, also spoke with a guy at work and he said take a magnifying glass to the front axle as it's probly modded to fit the width of the body. He also warned me about body flexing and fiberglass cracking due to poor motor mounts. Probly just have to pump up some more pics off the seller and go see the car with plenty of time.

Wonder what a real vette would cost... gotta see if I could find anything else, the volvo's gotta go and the replacement has to be above anything FUN. And cold weather resistant so no beach bugs etc...

Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 AM

Your friend is right about the front end. Even unmodified VW fronts can be a source of problems. Upper shock mounts is where I'd look.

Across the torsion beam for mods as your friend stated

Mattson, i heavily edited the previous post . Go back and re-read

Old 07-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Did. This is starting to look like picking my nose for blood... cause I know if I'm going I'm not coming back on the Volvo...

Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 AM

I feel your pain, man. I've been there.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 AM

Gotta go back to nettiauto with a few beers tonight. Will be scratching the dog and hugging the boy too, ATM 11am and I'm working. Well, at work anyway.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 AM

1:01 am here.

Insomnia tonight

Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I suspect I - like Woof - have been there done that with many cars over the span of our lives.

I still have a Fiat 124 Spider that is 'nearly finished' and has been for nigh on 15 years. Then there's the supercharged Golf A1 Diesel, the 1975 HJ 304 inch V8 Ute with the blown Turbo 700 transmission..........

I had an epiphany about 18 years ago and sold my 13 Peugeots and a shed wall of spare parts from 203 to 504/604. Man I felt 'light' after that.

Restoring the cottage has become more important than cars - not motorcycles mind you - but cars are trumped by cottage.

That is whenever we manage to find our way home.

Now, go to bed Woof and Matti, sleep on it, and think long and hard as to just WHY this guy is selling it??

Cheers, SB

Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 AM

Oh if I'd have your space and climate Seb, but alas can't store even one project car at home so probly better to leave that fiberglass monster to it's current owner and see something a bit more reliable cause after all it IS the thing that's supposed to get me to work in time...

Not exactly against american cars but at these gas prices and their humongous engines... dunno where to look. Ideas anyone?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 AM

I once owned a 1975 504 with a gas motor. Never changed the oil for 6 years. Ignored the temp gauge one day on the way to a Neville Brothers concert. Must've been a stuck thermostat.

Ka-Blooey. Head gasket

Right on the interstate.

I've never seen the Neville Brothers in concert

Think I'll sleep on that thought

Quick Reply: Somebody talk me out of this...