The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Somebody talk me out of this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Somebody talk me out of this...

So today got a slight car related issue...

As some of you already know I have a `99 Volvo S80 T6 Aut. as my commuter/ hobby car, the problem is the latter part. Somehow even though it`s easily the fastest most powerful car I`ve ever owned, heck if you don`t count the Maserati Granturismo I once moved in a parking lot it`s the most powerful car I`ve driven! But... being my second S80 somehow fails to "light me up" anymore, I have a massive aluminum birsill spoiler bought for it waiting in the garage but I decided not to bolt it on after all. I just put an adjustable suspension kit under it, it did make the ride better but still... it`s somehow too "sensible". Enormous insurance bill thanks to the power and takes over 10L of 98 octane per 100km, which costs here ATM around 1,75EUR/liter. Do the math.

Then, I did the mortal mistake and went window shopping to Nettiauto, our version of craigslist...

and found this:

Muu merkki Muu malli Coupé 1972 - Used vehicle - Nettiauto

A CorVWette Stingbug A.K.A 1972 Wv beetle with a fiberglass Corvette kit shell. Bored to 1,8l, currently on it`s way to becoming black, interior`s gonna be redone before they sell it. Loud, nasty, completely bonkers, FUN, half the insurance, almost half the fuel costs. Totally pointless. AND I WANT IT SO BAD!

I guess the question is "should I" ? We do have a 2008 Skoda Octavia Combi 4x4 Scout for baby transport and for my wife to get around.

No idea how I`m gonna cope with that in the winter, or will I just push it in my moms garage to hibernate and buy some 1000eur lemon to get through the snowy months.

Can`t decide if this is a really good or a very, very bad idea

Old 07-17-2014, 04:14 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a money pit to me Matt, maybe they're different over there, but here in the UK kit cars are notoriously bad and unreliable.

But it's your call, if you're really serious about it, go see it and drive it, you may fall in love, or you may not.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I'm well aware of that risk hawk, it IS a 72 beetle despite the fancy dress, but on the other hand Volvos are know to be very reliable, which this one has proven to be just the opposite. AND volvo parts are ludicrously expensive. I'd never buy a real vette thanks to the fuel price but somehow this does tickle. The problem is it's 400km away so if I'm going I'm only going once. I've been in contact with the seller today and said to him if it doesn't bring me home with just fuel fill-ups I have no use for it and want to know beforehand cause of the distance. Another luring thing is he's willing to trade it to the volvo which in this economic situation is very hard to unload, I've been watching the lists to see at what prices T6:s move and the answer is they don't, nobody's buying them. I've got about two-three weeks to let this simmer so they get the car done but if something drastic doesn't happen I'm probly gonna. My wife's showing me the sour face about it but I do have the ace up my sleeve that I had to pull, that she's happily driving MY 15k eur car and has NEVER even sat in the T6 ONCE so it's basically not her problem what I'll do with my cars

Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a pass on it, Matti.

A Meyer's Manx is what you really want

Attached Thumbnails Somebody talk me out of this...-meyers-manx-05.jpg  

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

There's not a barge pole long enough Matti,

Put your money into the Trumpy

Cheers, SB

Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Seb, it would be ok for 500 not 5000.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM

Guess you get what you ask for but a barge pole? Now it's not THAT bad... don't want a beach bug, too common and no roof. And yea the price tag does seem a bit high but there's not really anything to compare it to...

Bet the noise in the cockpit is pretty awful. We'll see, I do wanna swap the volvo to SOMETHING...

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 PM

I've always wanted a dune buggy, but there is another VW kitcar worth owning

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Sorry for the rampant post humping, but I was searching around the Porsche Spyder vids and found this.. That, my friends, is an EPIC stretch of Highway on the California Coast. Did that whole trip all the way to Astoria, Oregon in a '73 Fiat Spyder back when I was 22 years old.

For those who've never been. Add to bucket list now

Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 AM

Pretty nice if you're into that era, me personally am not that gaga about mk1 vettes or the old spyders. Just not my thing... pretty hefty pricetag too...

Gotta be in contact with the seller, the numbers make me a bit suspicious... to get a 1600cc boxer twin to 1800 would bean boring AND stroking, plus a 780kg car should do better that 6 sec 0-100 if it really has the alleged 140hp, the math just doesn't add up.

It's no more expensive than a beetle from the same era thanks to the Vw craze, I probly could get something more sensible but what? An mr2? No thanks, Mitsu 3000gt, what's the point of trading a spud to a potato, Honda del sol? Pffft, boy racer...

I probly WILL be asking for trouble with that one... but don't really care since as said the Volvo parts cost so much, besides that bug engine has like eight moving parts and comes out in 15mins. Pantyhose and a hammer is all the emergency kit you'll need. Sure as heck not gonna need coolant

Still a bit on the seesaw, probly have to take the drive to be able to decide... the lack of cruise is an issue with my busted knee but is manageble with right seating position.

If only they wouldn't paint it black, looks like a batmobile alreday asked could it still be changed to something like a Caspian blue.

And Seb, if I do this the money's not off the trumpet, I'm actually saving in the upkeeping costs (provided it doesn't go kablooey on me after a week which is exactly what the T6 did)

Quick Reply: Somebody talk me out of this...