The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Smidsy

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smidsy

I've been riding 33 years always rode defensively around town but its happened, approaching a junction which I want to turn into a car is waiting to come out as I slow he starts to come out and everything goes into slow motion, I abandon my turn but to no avail. Smashed straight into my leg, hard enough to scrape his bumper and shatter his number plate. Then everything speeds up again.
Couldn't walk for two days, nothing broke but loads of swelling and bruising, I didn't come off because of a very wet road the bike just slew around and I stayed on. Bloke was very apologetic and actually said I'm Sorry Mate I Didn't See You!!
Bikes being taken away tomorrow for damage assessment but my leg took most of the impact. The issue isn't the bike or my leg its two other things
I saw how much it upset Heather and I cant see myself putting her through it again Id be thinking about it all the time I'm riding
also at the moment Heather is driving me around and I get paranoid every time I see a car at a junction, Im sure that will pass but its real at the moment.
For the record I was on the Versys the baby was wrapped up in the garage.
Very angry, very confused - just wanted a cathartic rant.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you're "okay" for the most part (minus the pain in your leg). As far as not putting Heather through that again and being unnerved at intersections - I'm sorry that mental aspect is bothering you.

I don't want to try and sway you one way or the other, it's too personal and important of a decision. And you need to make it alone.

Take your time

Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 AM
Welcome Crew

sorry to hear about that, glad you and bike are ok, apart from the pain, plus 1 with cornice, its a big decision to make, take your time matey.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I have never heard that expression before.

So my advice to my daughter that picks up her first bike tomorrow will be :
"Use the cycle lanes, lane splitting is not illegal in NZ, but use the cycle lanes to your advantage"

Old 11-11-2014, 04:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the accident mate, but glad at the same time it wasn't much worse.

You're bound to be suffering from a bit of stress after an incident of this sort and now would not be a good time to jump on the bike and ride into the sunset.

Take the time you need to make a clear minded decision, it's winter now, so an ideal time to take a break and mull things over.

If you think you need a longer break, come the spring, when the sun is shining you can make well judged decision. Just concentrate on convalescing right now.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd second what Hawk says, take time off from it , shyte weather coming in anyway.
Take a fresh look at things in a while when you settle,once the initial shock of the whole
event has worn off a bit and make a rational decision about what to do then.

Great to hear no broken bones or worse and it's normal to have a survivalist
perspective after one of these but in my opinion it'll tend to stick in your memory and
as a result sharpen your riding skill and experience should you choose to continue. Hope
you do ........ not much comes close to riding bikes for sheer enjoyment imo.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Life has its hazards. I was watching the news a few days ago and they said three young girls were killed when struck buy a car. Moving tons of metal are no match for the human body, they will win. Car, truck, MC or just walking all have hazards.

In an intersection I always stare at the front wheel of any vehicle to see if its moving. Its the first sign. I always slow down and look at that wheel. You can't always tell if a vehicle is moving by looking at it compared to its background but you can tell if its moving if the front wheel is moving relative to the fixed ground.

Things could have turned out worse, like those poor girls who were walking. Glad to hear no bodily harm was done. The mental harm will also heal in time.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad there was no really serious damage to either you or the bike. As said above, take your time, think things through. When the time is right have a conversation with Heather about riding.

After my get off this summer I had the same concerns about Pam's emotional well being. We gave it a month or so and then had a long conversation about my riding. The upshot was that she said she does worry when I'm on the road but knows how much riding means to me, and it would be selfish of her to deny me the pleasure of riding. She has expressed happiness that I have started looking forward to next spring and riding again and is okay with it. A loving wife is a jewel beyond price.

Not saying you and Heather will come to the same conclusion, but have the conversation and include her in your decision.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by DRam
Sorry to hear about the accident, glad there was no really serious damage to either you or the bike. As said above, take your time, think things through. When the time is right have a conversation with Heather about riding.

After my get off this summer I had the same concerns about Pam's emotional well being. We gave it a month or so and then had a long conversation about my riding. The upshot was that she said she does worry when I'm on the road but knows how much riding means to me, and it would be selfish of her to deny me the pleasure of riding. She has expressed happiness that I have started looking forward to next spring and riding again and is okay with it. A loving wife is a jewel beyond price.

Not saying you and Heather will come to the same conclusion, but have the conversation and include her in your decision.
Hi DRam, had the conversation, she says she always worries, it wasn't my fault and I should have been born with wheels not legs as I spend so much time on them, she says she would never deny me bikes its who I am, like you Im blessed with a wife who understands and loves me (or shes got me insured??!) - shes good with me getting back on, so as soon as the foot will fit in a boot Im going out to see how it feels, I don't need to put the foot down or use it if I stop in the right gear.
TimBucTwo, I do the same things with wheels on approach to junctions, when filtering even in laned traffic I watch those wheels. I was maybe 10 - 15 feet away when this joker accelerated out - nothing I could have done, should have stopped off for a coffee earlier on

Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 AM

Not good hearing about a mate getting hit by some blind **** in a car who can't see past his nose.

Glad you are ok Dave and nothing broken on you or the bike (hopefully).

I will see you on the 28th for our jaunt to Motorcycle Live and we can have a chat in the car on the way.

Having watched you ride I know it wasn't your fault and no matter how much we expect the unexpected it will always catch us out.

Just get well soon and no! I'm not pushing your wheel chair around the NEC.