Shocking developements in racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shocking developements in racing

Formula E

open-wheel, electric, singleseater Priuses

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/x-car-f...150051885.html

I'll be the guy in the stands screaming NEEEEEEEEEEEEE-OWWWWWWWW every time one goes by

Last edited by wooferdog; 05-23-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: If I told you, I'd have to kill you
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love city/road (real road) racing.... but the electric stuff does nothing for me...

These things must be seriously slow. That, or it's insanely expensive and someone has dumped copious amounts of money into it. "Noise restrictions" are not the main reason that cities don't allow gas powered machines to race. It's a combo of logistics, danger, and requirements for those highly specialized vehicles (for performance and safety concerns).

Anyone else find it amusing that Beijing is holding an "e" race?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

He who hugs the most trees, wins.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff, I find all this lectric stuff interesting, so does John McGuiness, have you seen the zero races on the Isle of Man TT? Instant torque on tap, I am no tree hugger but I do have a 10kw solar set up at home.

Last edited by jarvid; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this kind of disturbingly interesting

We all know that part of the total joy of F1 is that amazing noise (that you have to put earplugs in to stop your brain bleeding out your ears), but I watched the vid.

So, they apparently can pull 150 mph; just because they're quiet doesn't necessarily make these proposed street circuits safe for the drivers.

It's not the noise that makes them unsafe, it's the horsepower (Harleys excepted).

Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I find this kind of disturbingly interesting

We all know that part of the total joy of F1 is that amazing noise (that you have to put earplugs in to stop your brain bleeding out your ears), but I watched the vid.

So, they apparently can pull 150 mph; just because they're quiet doesn't necessarily make these proposed street circuits safe for the drivers.

It's not the noise that makes them unsafe, it's the horsepower (Harleys excepted).

Which is why I say they have to be slow. There's no way they'd do it otherwise. Just because they "could" pull 150mph - doesn't mean they necessarily will. They have to conserve battery power.

The IOMTT Zero is a great comparison, jarvid. It's in the middle of the week - and it's a total let down compared to the gassers. It's still the slowest event (although they may surpass the super twins this year). And it's important to remember, the Zero is not near as competitive once you get outside the top 3 bikes. It's still very slow going, 4th last year was an 88 mph lap. A lot of them don't even finish before running out of juice.

If there's a market for it - go for it. If people are into it - great. It's just not for me.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI the IOMTT on TV , USA & OZ this year. Velocity in the US & Fox Sports downunder

New TV deals for 2014 Isle of Man TT Races - The official Isle of Man TT website

Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which is why I suggested that it'll be up to the spectators to provide the sound effects.

Though I'm still a lover/slave to the internal combustion engine. Electric/hybrid technology is gaining a foothold and may very well be the dominant technology one day.

Can't argue with the fact that racing tech trickles down into the consumer market. It'll improve the cars for sure.

As far as redundant racing series go, my sports home page makes little to zero mention of the upcoming Indy 500. Are wee seeing the death- throes of open wheel racing in America?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM

That hybrid tech that the Porsche 918 and Mclaren P1 - I can get behind. Its great because it blends the performance benefits of the electric engine and the gas engine.

Tell me you guys saw the Top Gear segments for those cars!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It would seam that the difference between the 'F' and 'E' is the class. To each his own. I'm not into NASCAR at all but do enjoy a good race.

This clip helps describe what they're up to.

This clip helps describe the sad truth.

Quick Reply: Shocking developements in racing