The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Setting up for touring questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up for touring questions

I have almost bought a 1990 1000f (dont have it home yet) and i know i want to set it up for touring with hard luggage and possibly a taller windshield. I am looking for input as to what brandsand size of luggage and windshield. Also any other ideas to successfully set a 1990 up for two up touring. I am in Qld Australia.
Cheers
Damian

Last edited by Damo77; 05-08-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow has a nice set-up and not too obtrusive when the side panniers are removed.

These bikes being the age they are it's difficult to find anyone that does new stuff and as Classic pointed out, it's hellishly expensive for the whole shebang.

As always E-bay is the best place to look, also the search button is your friend, there are plenty of threads on this subject, Sprock even built his own.

Happy hunting.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Default Tour set up

I have a '91 CBR1000F. I added a set of Genmar bar risers that raised the stems up 3/4 of an inch. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it made a big difference. I also added a set of waterproof Tourmaster Cortech side bags,tail bag, & tank bag. These are light weight and attach very easy. The bags can be hung in less than 5 minutes.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can do it on the cheap with soft bags or go for broke with something like Givi. I traded my soft bags for a compressor and gathered up stuff for a 3-bag system of Givi. It took some time and good bidding on e-bay but I got a setup for 1/2 price.

Like Classic says, light touring or long haul camping stuff?

1-bag, 2-bag..3-bags full!
Let's hit the highway and then pool!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM

I run a tail bag and a small tank bag. Holds all I need for a few days and I don't feel like I'm on a cruiser.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM

The Tourmaster product doesn't look cheap at all.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Givi's E41's & E55's, dropped Buell Pegs & adjustable bars.

Softbags work for one off trips etc. I decided on the above
for more regular and longer trips and for haul formal work
clothes etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 3X48L Nonfango hardcases for extended stuff like two weeks on the road.
(Thanks for the compliment Hawk) They don't have the big tail rack the Givi does, which I think is uuuuuugly
For a weekend the back box is more than enough.
Everything can be removed or refitted in about 15 minutes.
The bike is wide with the side boxes on but not at all unrideable - filtering between cars just takes more care
I had soft cases to start with but I found that having to fit rain covers to keep stuff dry was a pain, and you can't pack your stuff so it's easily accessible. Soft cases are also easier to steal or break open. Hardboxes take a good bit more effort I'd say.
If you need pics of my system let me know.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

I run a Gearsack bag on a Ventura Rack and a medium sized magnetic tank bag. What I cant fit in either of those I don't take. I'm like Classic. I don't carry stuff like toiletries etc. I buy em when I get to my destination or as I go. I usually wear the one pair of Draggin Jeans and wash them if I'm away for a while. I take plenty of jocks of course and usually have a clean long sleeve shirt for each days ride. Its amazing what u can get in those gearsack bags when you pack them properly. I have a GIVI hard case on my Blackbird and rather the Gearsack any day.

I'm not a camper and don't take a tent or anything. I either stay in motels, caravan parks or a rented house when I go to Phillip Island for the Moto GP each year with 5 mates. I hate riding a bike that might as well be a car with the amount of gear I see strapped to some of them. I travel as light as possible so I can enjoy riding the bike to and from wherever I'm going and not just use it as a pack horse.

Quick Reply: Setting up for touring questions