The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

See you in Vietnam!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Guys!

Now in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) after nearly 24 hours travel - about 10 PM at night but have been out to sample the Saigon beers and salty peanuts - led astray by Mrs SB of course!

Shower and bed and will start a dedicated thead tomorrow with photos of lots of beautiful women for Mikesx

Cheers, SB

Old 04-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

See me in Vietnam?

Highly unlikely, but can't wait to live vicariously through you and Mrs. SB's travels.

Unless,

You'd like to hire a third party photographer to chronicle your exploits in the Indochine.

Requirements:

Must pay salary, return airfare to the destination of my choosing, meals and lodgings for the duration of my employment.

I do not ever carry my own luggage.

Must provide me with the adequite skills to operate smart phones, 21st century digital photo equipment and/or any such photo editing software.

Sufficient per-diem for "personal entertainment purposes" as I may see fit to ensure personal needs and to engender cross-cultural relations with as many of the opposite gender as I can

A minimum of at least 10.000 AUSD in reserve to smooth over any obstacles with any local and federal authorities or corrupt organized crime representatives to relieve me of any responsibility when aforementioned cultural exchanges may go awry

The employee must never be never disturbed, awakened or otherwise bothered before he has determined his hangover has indeed abated and he may continue to get himself sloppily drunk again.

If these terms are agreeable to the party of the first, you may contact my U.S. agent, Monkeybutt the Cat Esq. Currently residing under my old house.

Sincerely,

Woof

Last edited by wooferdog; 04-26-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: I forgot a comma.. and apriod i think
Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Them there's tempting terms Woof..............

But I think we may just have to renegotiate a few of the terms of employment.

The number of gentle local folk who will fight to undertake portage of your trunks and other sundry suitcases - for a very modest reimbursement - is phenomenal. I'm sure if there was a sedan chair, that too could be negotiated for a modest cost.

So, in short, you never carry your luggage anyway!

Drinking - particularly with ex-pats - is a national sport and the icy cold local beers suit the clime especially well if served with a plate of heavily salted peanuts. So, drinking is expected, regular and welcomed.

And I have the belly to prove it.

Money. A necessary evil that is spent in ways that prolong the pleasure of its spending. See drinking above. Also means that there is never enough left over to employ skilled PNW photo essayists.

Your still welcome to share our time over here though!

Cheers, SB

Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Money. A necessary evil that is spent in ways that prolong the pleasure of its spending. See drinking above. Also means that there is never enough left over to employ skilled PNW photo essayists.

Aw, yes. The most necessary of evils.

So it goes.

Bon Voyage and Bon Chance, Mes Amies!

I actually was concerned that my contribution might have been more a Hunter S. Thompson-esque view to country that you and Mrs. SB have come to love..

Fear and Loathing in Hanoi?

Last edited by wooferdog; 04-26-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Sometimes i think things
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive read a few tales of biking in Vnam all say what a beautiful country it is and how there are miles and miles of good, bad and very bad roads to discover.

Enjoy..

Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Had them all TIGGR - on two wheels..........

But this time it is THREE Just had an email that the Ural sidecar has turned up at the Phong Nha Farmstay.

We leave Saigon on the 1st of May to fly to Dong Hoi and then to Phong Nha.

Am I excited??

Hell yeah!!!!

Cheers, SB

Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someday I will get back...in the meantime you can get me there with your stories and camera.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
Someday I will get back...in the meantime you can get me there with your stories and camera.
You are welcome to join us here Cb2cbr And in the three trips in 18 months that we have done to Vietnam the difference is noticeable so I would urge those contemplating a trip to the Indochine to do it sooner than later.

We're here for a while this time and the 'road trip' thread has begun

https://cbrforum.com/forum/road-trip...ojourn-151804/

Cheers, SB

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
And in the three trips in 18 months that we have done to Vietnam the difference is noticeable so I would urge those contemplating a trip to the Indochine to do it sooner than later.
Are the attitudes by the locals toward visitors getting worse or something? I remember your story about Khe Sanh, the bank there, and a few things in the area.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Are the attitudes by the locals toward visitors getting worse or something? I remember your story about Khe Sanh, the bank there, and a few things in the area.
Oh no......not at all.

The Vietnamese are a kind and gentle people - who will fight to the death for their land - as most of us would.

The big change is the recognition that 'westerners' are great at spending money and hence prices are rising rapidly for 'tourists'.

On our first trip 18 months ago, we had 3.5 star rooms in Saigon for about $35 USD. No such thing now, and our hotel - still 3.5 star - is about $70 USD a night now.

Khe Sanh was unique in that just doesn't 'do' tourism at all there - the main hotel is Gov't controlled and utterly hopeless. We went there initially because of my interest in the siege at Khe Sanh during the Vietnam War and the second trip because you have to go through it to get onto that fantastic 240km ribbon of tar and cement called the Ho Chi Minh Duong Tay - still one of the best roads I have ridden.

The rest of the country is spectacular in it's scenery, the friendliness of the population and generally where you can still get as much as you could eat and 4 beers for less than $10 USD, it has just got to be a good thing.

Cheers, SB