The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

A question for the intellingenstia

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question for the intellingenstia

Does my cat absorb more heat by her very stretched out position in front of the fire, rather than assuming the more traditional curled position?

Some days I feel like the little Red Hen.

"Who will help me find and cut the firewood"

"Not I , say the wife, daughter and very useless pair of cats"

"Who will help me stack the firewood, make sure it's dry, then bring it upstairs and actually put it in the woodburner"

"Not I , say the wife, daughter and very useless pair of cats"

"Who will help me enjoy that heat from the logburner?"

" I will , I will"A question for the intellingenstia-mija2.jpg

Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There seams to be signs of intelligence in the household and we'll leave it there. LOL

Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you're fishing Teeks,

Cats are the ones to actually radiate the heat. The combustion stove soaks it up and is warmer than physics alone dictates.

The feline adopts a state of catalepsy and begins to transfer its latent heat to the stove, whether combustion, gas or electricity..........

Viz:

A rare shot of an Arctic cat illustrating the radiation FROM the cat - (note the aura around the animal) - to the heater of the latent energy, stored for future use. And.........

The direct transfer method. The animal places its paws on the heating unit for latent heat transfer. Note the absence of aura in this image.

Uncontrolled release of the cat's latent heat can lead to disaster.

This image from where a cat's homeostatic latent heat gland became uncontrolled leading to a cat induced conflagration. This is why this sort of thing is known as a catastrophe..............

Hope that helps.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 07-17-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Seb If I understand you correctly, since cat generate heat, are you saying we should throw them in the wood burner?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Seb If I understand you correctly, since cat generate heat, are you saying we should throw them in the wood burner?
An uncontrolled release would occur hamlin........

Best only done outdoors*

Cheers, SB

*note: I do not condone the burning of cats, nor were any cats harmed in the making of this post

Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Further research has unearthed the following to support the theory.

″Latent heat″ measures change in internal energy that seems hidden from a thermometer – the temperature reading doesn't change. Heat is energy in the process of transferring between a system and its surroundings, other than as work or by transfer of matter.

Now, The term latent heat was introduced into calorimetry around 1750 when Joseph Black, commissioned by producers of Scotch whisky in search of ideal quantities of fuel and water for their distilling process, made a little known discovery that the latent heat of cats and gin provided his needs - if only he could release it in a controlled way. Ethyl alcohol releases 855 kJ per kg and Teeks cats are big. However, to this day it has proved impossible to harness the released energy in a satisfactory manner for commercial purposes. This is also where the term "as difficult as herding cats" was coined.

But, to assist Teeks in his quest for knowledge, from first hand experience I know his Moggies do like a Gin tipple.............

So with the cat/gin plus woodstove combination on the south Island in NZ, it should prove a warm winter indoors As long as you supply the wood to the wood stove to serve as a catalyst................

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 07-17-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So.

Since it is summer here, my cat who stretches out under under the ceiling fan, is actually using the heat rising from his body to rotate the fan blades thus cooling the room?

I need to find other ways to harness feline latent energy to serve me.

Maybe now the little beastie will earn his keep

Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

That's right Woof,

Cats are actually more useful than most people realise. It's also why there is the saying "Dogs have owners and Cats have staff"

Sebastionbear is only my online persona. Here's a self portrait You'll note the tongue strategically positioned for deep thought.........

Meow......, SB

Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Further research has unearthed the following to support the theory.

″Latent heat″ measures change in internal energy that seems hidden from a thermometer – the temperature reading doesn't change. Heat is energy in the process of transferring between a system and its surroundings, other than as work or by transfer of matter.

Now, The term latent heat was introduced into calorimetry around 1750 when Joseph Black, commissioned by producers of Scotch whisky in search of ideal quantities of fuel and water for their distilling process, made a little know discovery that the latent heat of cats and gin provided his needs - if only he could release it in a controlled way. Ethyl alcohol releases 855 kJ per kg and Teeks cats are big. However, to this day it has proved impossible to harness the released energy in a satisfactory manner for commercial purposes. This is also where the term "as difficult as herding cats" was coined.

But, to assist Teeks in his quest for knowledge, from first hand experience I know his Moggies do like a Gin tipple.............

So with the cat/gin plus woodstove combination on the south Island in NZ, it should prove a warm winter indoors As long as you supply the wood to the wood stove to serve as a catalyst................

Cheers, SB
Catalyst.....
That is horrible. I love it.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

More recently I had to teach my 'staff' how to fly an aeroplane properly....

A snapshot of me providing tips

It's never ending our struggle to edumacate you guys.

Meow, SB

Quick Reply: A question for the intellingenstia