The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

New Hurricane Members say hello here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Maverick1983 , firstly welcome to the CBRF ....

Mate , I gotta tell yu that peeps that complain about not being able to run over 140(and om asuming you mean MPH ?) are usually taunted around here as a bit of an over kill merchant ...lol

BUT ........
have you changed the jets from stock ?
are you running the stock air cleaners ?
has the carbs been cleaned before you rode her the first time after her long hiatus
has she been tuned and or had a carb balance as yet ?
G'day CBRclassic,

if she would have gone anywhere close to 100mph , i would be spending a lot of time ..... Not roflol

I haven't done any of the above mentioned things. The bike is in a pretty stock condition ..... I just got a quote of NZ $300 for , carb cleaning, sync, replacing jets to original size (IF tampered or the need be), change air filter/cleaner, change oil and oil filter,replace plug and other basic bit. so basically 3hrs labour and part will be extra.

I don't have a garage and nor do i have the tools .Just have the determination to fix it , if that helps

Anything else that am i looking at in particular. Also what's the deal with the fuel vaccum? what is that thing? Can that be a culprit?

Cheers

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic

Yer the Vacuum can be an issue .... you can test part of it the dangerous way by going for a short ride with the gas tank cap just cracked open...
(as long as you have not got too much fuel in her it will be ok )

That checks the tank's vent for vacuum lock ...
As far as the carbs go , grab a can of carb cleaner and try that in your tank first before shelling out the cash to the mechanic ...

CBRclassic,

I just spoke to a mechanic and he said adding something like redex (carb cleaner) might harm the entire injection..... I thought as much that to start of with, will just add a cleaner, and see what happens. Also planning to open up the tank and give it a clean (How, don't ask me) lol...

I can try the checking the vaccum by ur suggested technique (can it be classified as one ???).... hmmmm.. That should be fun....

Thanks for ur help...
Will keep you guys posted!!!

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome , btw , no smoking when going about Classics method orrrrr booooooom

sub sonic boooom in your case !

reckon a little carbi cleaner in there and a good few km's later she might perk up a bit

Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
reckon a little carbi cleaner in there and a good few km's later she might perk up a bit
Will do ....

Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 AM

Hi All,

As suggested , I have added the carb cleaner. Took her out for a 40km spin.
I can see some improvement in the pick up (or maybe I wanted to)

Also a very strong observation. Before I reached the speeding camera zones, I had a constant throttle and I saw her crossing 150 kmph (NOT mph) for the first time. But the moment i give a full throttle, it cuts down? does that mean anything? any one any comments? also when in neutral, if i rev her really hard n once she reaches the red line (which is again rare), the engine stops. have to start her again but she pops up fine? Again, does that indicate anything?

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM

Hi All,

As suggested , I have added the carb cleaner. Took her out for a 40km spin.
I can see some improvement in the pick up (or maybe I wanted to)

Also a very strong observation. Before I reached the speeding camera zones, I had a constant throttle and I saw her crossing 150 kmph (NOT mph) for the first time. But the moment i give a full throttle, it cuts down? does that mean anything? any one any comments? also when in neutral, if i rev her really hard n once she reaches the red line (which is again rare), the engine stops. have to start her again but she pops up fine? Again, does that indicate anything?

Cheers!
Sam

Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 AM

Man..what have i done???

I was playing with the bike. Somehow managed to open the fairing and the tank. .. wanted to check if the fuel comes out freely from the inlet .. so was trying to pull tube connected to the tank.... saw the vaccum tube as well (sorry if I sound like an idiot)

There is no fuel coming out of the inlet from the gas tank. When i pulled the tube out from the tank inlet, and turned the fuel **** on, there is no petrol coming out???. Also the vaccum tube is not connected to any other end... AND THE BIKE DOESN"T START NOW. HUH!!!!

WTF????

cna someone point me to the right direction? Where is the other end of the vaccum tube connected? one end is at the petrol ****...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: New Hurricane Members say hello here!