The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

New Hurricane Members say hello here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't like cricket eh, spose you like water polo or curling or maybe synchronised swimming!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cricket ........... great game Hey welcome here Jarvid , oil usage ! I'd be using 20/50
weight oil with may help cut down on oil usage...........

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jarvid,
Welcome along.

My advice would be change the oil, (may as well give Sproks advice a go) though I use 10/40, but it ain't so hot in UK so maybe he's right (as usual).
Ride her, get to know her, if you're still worried after a few thou, we'll reconvene to discuss further.
Apart from that, nice deal...... enjoy your bargain.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using Motul 20w50 (I changed the oil 2 days after buying the bike), even though I am not that far from Antarctica(Tassie gets quite cold) I am going to try some Liqui-moly Motorcycle Engine Flush as per CBRClassics recommendation, I know a lot of people don't like engine flushes, but this Liqui-moly is specifically for bikes(wet clutch etc)

Last edited by jarvid; 01-27-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Default Heh!

Hello Guys. This is Sam from new Zealand. Just bought a 94 hurricane, black with 36k kms on it.

Not having a great time . Needs help guys.

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maverick1983
Hello Guys. This is Sam from new Zealand. Just bought a 94 hurricane, black with 36k kms on it.

Cheers!
Welcome Sam, I'm NZ as well and your bike has done a third of the ks mine has done but I guess that would be right as mine is a 87.
Whats wrong with it? You will find heaps of help on this site as these Guys are very help full and I must say very funny as well!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1983
I don't even know where to start.............how about a little clue?

Welcome aboard, friend. I have a '94 also.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM

G'day All,

A small desc of the problem and a little background

It's a restricted model (I assume as they have a speedo till 180 and 5 speed instead). Was going through some old post here in the forum before buying the bike and saw a lot of guys spl "Green Ninja"? took out the restrictor clips sitting between the carb and the cylinder body. So thought it might be easy plus a new set of jets will make it fly. And for the obvious reason the price of the bike. Was getting 250's at the price that I got this one.....

After buying the bike (this when I got the pre purchase inspection from a mechanic who said the bike is a mint condition), i took her out for a spin. When I started playing with her, she denied me from all the fun.

The bike starts fine (LITTLE TEMPERAMENTAL IN THE MORNINGS THOUGH ), idle's fine, runs sweet, it's only with the full throttle.

Whenever I'll give a full throttle, the bike will cut out. For e.g and this is something I have tested out over n over in the last 3 days:

gear one, touch 90km/hr and change gear, gear 2 will be numb and so will three. But if i do the commuter way, gear 1, touch 50, gear 2, go 80-90, n so on, it goes fine.. That is prob 1

Prob 2: when at 5th gear, it can't cross 140. So a half throttle takes me there, when I open more, the bike cuts out and almost feel that she has either run out of fuel or the air supply.

"Any GEAR, FULL THROTTLE KILLS HER"

I don't know if this makes any sense. Its just that nagging thing that been bothering from day 1 and hence I am trying to reach out to you guys.

I am no expert, have no prior exp or tools or a workshop. So the bikes goes to the mechanics who'll rip me off with their hourly rates.

Few things that I have been suggested from kiwibiker forum are
Air inlet,air filter, vaccum (WTF is that, fuel vaccum)
carbs need to be sync, needs servicing , change oil and air filter

THE BIKE WAS PARKED IN A GARAGE FOR ALMOST A YEAR before i bought. it. Last service was done: Jan 2010

Some fuel was there in the tank all this while? my GUESS , YES

I am sorry for such a long and a painful post..

Just thought might share it get some advice

Have a gud one guys
Cheers!

Quick Reply: New Hurricane Members say hello here!