The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

New Hurricane Members say hello here!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was gonna say about the same thing, rookie...

People can learn on just about any bike, but it can be helpful to start on a lighter, less powerful bike than the 'Cane.
Like sprock said, know your limits.... better yet, ride below what you think are your limits.. lol...
Take it easy, bud, and ride safe!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my name is Justin. I am new here but really enjoy all the info so far. I just purchased a 1987 black and red Hurricane 1000 with 11,000 miles on it. I always wanted a hurricane and now I have one. It is all stock except for a two brothers racing pipe on it. I will try to get some pics up soon.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dat ting in't even run in yet !
Welcome to you Justin from the cornfields........or not ?
I haven't been there for ever - maybe it's now a paved parking lot for combine harvesters ?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator - Retired

Welcome to the forums, Justin!!
Yep, and '87 with 11k on the clock? Wow...
Hell of a find..

Remember...don't feed the old girl too much corn, she'll get a stomach ache...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBR_1000F_rookie
HELLO, 29/m/myrtle beach, SC new to the bike scene. Never rode a bike before let alone own one up until 1 week ago when I traded my 225,000 mile 97 thunderbird for a 75,000 mile 1993 honda CBR 1000f. Alot of people say thats too much bike for a beginer but i've had no problems so far. I really dont see what the big fuss is about, only thing I find scary about it is getting tickets because it reaches 60mph without me even realizing it.
Hi there Rookie , the CBR1000 is my first bike too , been riding a year now every chance I get!

Two pieces of advice :-

1 every other fu(ker on the road is out to kill you!

2 She's a well behaved lady , treat her right and She will play nice , abuse her , She'll bite your *** and don't think she can't!!

Ride safe and enjoy

Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by CBR_1000F_rookie
Alot of people say thats too much bike for a beginer but i've had no problems so far. I really dont see what the big fuss is about, only thing I find scary about it is getting tickets because it reaches 60mph without me even realizing it.
time.
First off, congratulations on getting one of the finest classic bikes of it's time. As you've said how easily it reaches 60mph without realising, remember she has another 5 gears too Also she has a really good braking system for her age, but be very aware at high speeds it still takes a long distance to stop her safely.
Listen and take as much advice as you can. If at all possible get yourself signed up for any sorts of roadcraft course for beginners in motorcycling. there are a lot of things you can't do with a bike that you can do with a car and vise-versa, last thing you want to be doing is having a silly avoidable accident with 560lb bike.
Here's a couple of tips.
Always ride defensively.
Believe that all other road users are out to kill you, cos they are.
Most of all, ride sensibly, ware the appropriate gear, you only have one skin.
Enjoy......

Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator - Retired

Mo's right. If you can get into a riding class, do it. Check out MSF and ask questions.

A couple big points I'm gonna add is that 1. Don't ever assume someone sees you.
2. Try to train yourself not to fixate. If you're looking right at the object you're trying to avoid, you'll hit it. Look for escape routes.
3. Practice braking. A big cause of accidents is under-braking.
4. This is a pretty heavy bike. Be cautious of that. When you're stopped or moving slow and she decides to fall, you better be ready. If you've ever stalled at low speed in a turn, you know what I mean..
Take it easy and ride safe!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Default thanks for all the tips.

I have found one problem with this bike, it doesnt like to start too easily in the mornings, even using the choke. and if ive been riding it for more than 10 minutes and shut it off, it doesnt want to start back up, usually have to roll start it. any advise? And as far as riding goes, I've had it a week now, and have already learned to counter steer, and my shift points are now where they should be. No helmet law here, but im gonna continue to wear mine for the rest of the summer.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a battery or reg/rec problem.
Check the Voltage at the battery with a voltmeter at >3000 revs - should be around 13+ volts.
These bikes start on the button instantly when warm, when running properly.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hellloooo everyone! at last i found my dream bike 88 hurricane, call me dex...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hurricane Members say hello here!