Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome Sluggo.

Do you have a CB1000 or a CBR1000 ?

Post up some pictures, I'm curios to see her

Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 1994 CB1000 in July. That year all the US cb100s were black. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture on this computer. I'll have to move some over and figure out how to post them. I'm sure there's a thread on that somewhere.

Anyhow, I liked the bike enough to buy a second one, that being a 1995 model (the red one). Neither is a CBR. Not that I have anything against CBRs, I just seem to prefer my bikes naked.

In any case, they both need a little love as each has seen a bit over 40,000 miles. Been busy with fluids and brake pads on the '95; still need to do valves, sprockets and chain. The black one needs a clutch and carbs cleaned and tires. Valves are done (she starts far more willingly now), and I've started on the cosmetics.

Neither will ever be a show bike, but they deserve to be clean and healthy. And I'd like to get my youngest daughter on one of them. She's on an '81 CB750K right now, but she rode the '94 CB1000 a little and did just fine.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Sluggo, plenty of help here if you ever need it.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggo49
So I purchased a '94 CB1000 without knowing much about them, but I really like the look. Turns out there isn't much forum space devoted to this singularly unpopular (here in the USofA) model. But I stumbled onto this site and have gleaned a lot of info just lurking. So I figured I'd show myself and go from there.
That is funny I've been lurking around for a little bit myself and decided to register too. I picked up a '91 CBR1000 last week and wanted to find out about the popcorn and rice crispies living in my engine. The acronym CCT is very, very familiar to me now. Hello everyone from Bangor, ME

Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site, Gronk! After all, I need to get a few posts in so they will turn on picture access for me.

There does seem to be a lot of info on this site and some of the tech pertains to my model. I don't know if you do your own work, but I'm sure you've discovered the CCT replacement threads in the "How-to" section. I also recommend the series of engine rebuild videos done by Tentacleslap. It gives a pretty good look at what's in the package and how to take it apart. Great lurking material, at any rate.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Welcome Crew

Welcome to the forum GronkFries, stick some heavier weight oil in the old girl to quieten the CCT a bit until you get around to fixing it.

Sluggo49, I don`t know how similar the CB1000 is to the CBR1000f that this forum is aimed squarely at, I do know one thing about your CB and that is it has a much better looking naked engine than a CBR is naked.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM

Jarvid, as I understand it, the similarities between the CB1000 and CBR1000f are pretty much confined to the engine/transmission. Carbs, cams are definitely different and they squeezed an extra gear into the transmission on the Hurricane. But it looks like the basic mechanicals are very similar. Oil pumps have different hoses to accommodate the CBR oil cooler which the naked bike doesn't run. Of course, chassis, suspension and bodywork are all completely different between the models. I'm certainly no authority on this and maybe someone who is can give me better direction. But there is precious little tech on the CB1000 available beyond the FSM, so I go anywhere I can to get some hints.

And I agree with you that, to my taste, the CB1000 is more aesthetically appealing than a naked CBR. Design teams at Honda had a pretty good handle on what they wanted to accomplish with each model and I think they did an outstanding job in both cases. The CB might have been the wrong bike for the US market at that time, but the world has moved on and I'm content to appreciate it for it's intrinsic merits.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm all about Honda right now! jarvid, I'm taking the thicker oil advice as it's going to be one of the last warm riding days and want to ride my toy another day or two before I take it out of commission. The kid that had it before me was riding it the way it is all summer so a couple more days of operation should beat any adverse odds I hope.

And sluggo, I agree with the wealth of quality info here. It will get me where I want to go a lot quicker as all the things I think that are wrong with my bike have been addressed. I do my work to the point of machining, pressing, crimping, etc. Different kind of powerplant and drivetrain that I've had experience with so I'm pretty excited about picking away at it over the winter.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:22 PM

G'day guys, Aussie here but I live in the USA. I have a 1991 CBR1000F and other bikes as well. I raced a CBR1000RR in the US with the AMA along time ago. Always had a love for the CBR line.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Welcome Crew

G`day Reidy008,
Welcome to the forum, there are actually some pretty bright yanks on this site if you ever need help. Most countries are represented and all very helpful, all you have to do is ask.

Quick Reply: New Hurricane Members say hello here!