The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

New home 'puter and broadband at last!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up New home 'puter and broadband at last!

At last we got around to the new computer! Ended up with a laptop so the kids can take it to their rooms for homework. We've told them any net viewing will be done in the main living room so we can keep an eye on things as they're too young to go free range in our opinion. My daughter's 11 and there's a world of freaks out there. Any dodgy types would find me and a couple of accessories (one with big teeth, one containing lead!) at the 'meeting'....

Went with a pre-paid wireless plug in for the 'net and it works great. Maximum signal and very fast.

When I first set up the laptop I configured the keyboard for UK not US....wrong! The dude from Toshiba told my missus that he'd charge her$60 to explain how to fix it!! She declined and we just restored the 'out of the box' settings. Took ages but worked. robbing ba5tards since we spent $$ on the laptop.

Anyway, I'll have to see how the usage goes, then review our options but the plug in seems like the go to me..cool to be able to surf without all the friken locked site bs. later guys.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you Dave
I'd watch the young'un's with the Net usage - especially downloads - they can use them up in no time. Music is usually what they go for, but I'd set up the preferences to limit access( ask me how I know)
Also, go to the AVG website and download the free programme to protect yourself against viruses. It's good !

Last edited by Shadow; 06-22-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Pete. We've got a pretty good anti-virus program in..wouldn't go on the net without one. Sounds like you've been stung by the kids at some stage. The stick we bought is a pre-paid one which expires in 30 days. If you get to the limit it just doesn't work anymore until you re-charge so we shouldn't have trouble with the kids. Easy to check on status with free SMS too so if we've got anything left towards the end of the period, we'll let them go for it. This one was really just to test for suitability where we live and, so far, it looks great. I love the total portability too. Things sure have changed in the last 20 years or so...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always nice to upgrade comps and the net.
We have 2 laptops and a wireless network w/ printer. Makes it real nice. After a while, you wonder how you lived without it.... lol.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here Trout. I have a regular desktop and 2 laptops on a DLINK wireless router. Kids use the newer laptop and I have the old one in the shed for when I need forum access when I'm working on the bike. Its saved me quite a few times !!!! Its also great for listening to my fav radio stations that I cant pick up on the radio.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get to the stage where every person in the house has a laptop, will sit next to each other in the lounge room and talk to each other via face book.

Aahhhh the new age.

Where's my beer

Aussie Johnno

Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got there already and very quickly reversed that whole scenario, not trying to raise
a house load of zombies ........... every now and then fine ...... day after day ...
no way nagonna happen for quite sometime !

Mine are signed up for "Track" aka athletics for the whole summer ..... they only get
to grow and develope their mental and physical abilities one time during their youth.

This from their complete role model !!!!!