The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Need some Blundstones

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need some Blundstones

Blundstone's are a boutique item here and we pay up to 150 US for them.

Are they cheaper downunder?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Blundstone's are a boutique item here and we pay up to 150 US for them.

Are they cheaper downunder?
So many styles Woofer - so many prices.
I buy the generic around AU$100 delivered.

Blundstone

Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 AM

I'm looking for the 550 boot in brown, AUS 9.5 wide. Those will run me about 160.00 US through Amazon and they only sell medium width.

My go-to casual shoe, and has been for decades, is the Clark Desert Trek. Clark's medium width will fit me just fine.

I get worried about shoes mail order. In the past, I shelled out big bucks for Italian cycling shoes to find out they only fit Italian feet.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Woofer Blundstones were made here in Tasmania for decades and we were rightly proud of the product, not long ago the local workers were put off and manufacturing is now done in China or somewhere like it. I now buy Garmont boots instead.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes just another great Aussie company forced offshore by greedy government coffers who make it near impossible to run a business in this country. Yet if you fail in balancing the books properly and are a decent sized company like Holden and Mitsubishi the govt will bail you out with taxpayers money. This country is going down the gurgler very quickly......

Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Bordo
Yes just another great Aussie company forced offshore by greedy government coffers who make it near impossible to run a business in this country. Yet if you fail in balancing the books properly and are a decent sized company like Holden and Mitsubishi the govt will bail you out with taxpayers money. This country is going down the gurgler very quickly......
Interesting comments by both Bordo and Jarvid.

In the last couple of days here there has been a lot of media kerfuffle about a takeover bid by Haier for a long established (and quite innovative) local whiteware manufacturer by the name of Fisher and Paykel.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if many of you guys internationally have F&P appliances in your homes without even realizing that they're designed and built in NZ.

So the Haier offer is for 16% above current share price.

Suddenly all the people who aren't investors in shares are coming out of the woodwork saying it would be a travesty to allow a long established NZ brand to get sold to overseas (Chinese) investors.

After all, they might decide to move the manufacturing to China.

I absolutely have a problem with that.

Whilst I agree with the whole "Keep it NZ made" philosophy, I also think that shareholders in any company are entitled to make their own choices.

Do we ever see the Green Party MPs demanding that the government should compensate F & P shareholders in a bad year if they make a loss?

I think not.

I suspect it would be a very brave government in any country that would step in and prevent sales of privately owned shares to any buyer (even Chinese (which is a particularly hot topic in NZ because of Crafar Dairy Farms))

End of rant.

Woofer, given exchange rate and postage for the particular model of boot you're after, I can't see any advantage of going through the Aussie guys.

Thank you, and goodnight all.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Woofer, given exchange rate and postage for the particular model of boot you're after, I can't see any advantage of going through the Aussie guys.

I'm finding that out. Last time I looked (15 years ago), the exchange was much more favorable.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

I've been wearing these for 32 years. They last a good decade with no maintenance. Would probably last a century if I actually took care of them. Double H is a great brand.

Womens & Mens Boots Online - Harley Davidson, Georgia, Magnum, Wolverine & Wellington : Double-H Men's 10" Harness Boot Style: DH4008

Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have been wearing them for 32 years, your feet must stink something terrible!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM

Figured if I have to shell out 160.00 for Blundstones that aren't even made in Tasmania anymore, I'll spend the extra twenty for some Keen Wellies

KEEN Footwear - Mobile