The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

My Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Build

Well the story so far. I bought this old nail of a CBR1000F from a mate in the Chop Club. It has a wide glide front end and a custom rear mudguard. That was all it had going for it. It had been sat in the rain for years and literally rotted away.
Still £400 I thought go on then.
Took it home and stripped it the very same day. Oh jeezus !!!! Worse than I though. The engine had taken in water and the top end was totally Boogered. The tank had no cap on and had rotted away inside. Any chrome was covered in rust. The frame was just rust and a badly welded sub frame had rotted away to.
So I spent the next 3 months sheilding my eyes when I went into the garage hoping that someone would come and pinch it.... They didnt. Damn it.

Enter another mate of mine. He says he has a very low milage engine and a load of parts that he was gonna use to build a special but hasnt ever got round to doing it. Seems he bought a right off years ago and has had it stored away since 1997. The bike had less than 2K on it. Oh says I...
So I parted with some money and it arrives. A 97 model engine, complete rear end, wiring and all the bits, and another 87 model bike minus its tank and fairing !!

So, I sent the 87 frame I had off to be blasted, then welded it so it dont drop to bits on me. Cut a few brackets to let the 97 engine fit in and allow the water pipes to be routed. I didnt want to swap the head head over for obvious reasons. Frame painted, new bearings all round, new fork seals and in goes the front end. Then the back end which bolted straight in.
Well thats where I am up to so far.

I needed a rad from a latter model as they have 1 inlet and 1 outlet unlike the early models which have 2 and 1. Just found one on ebay in the US. I will use all the latter model parts like ignition etc etc but will strip the harness and make a custom loom as the original is to long for my needs. Plus I will use a car style ignition switch and no indicators. So thats the next challenge, wiring and piping it all in. Then the exhaust and rejetting the carbs.

I will update as I go on, but thats the state of play so far.
010_zps668d9062.jpg?t=1394045947
005_zps831acda8.jpg?t=1394045858009_zpsc35efd92.jpg?t=1394045919

Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting build there champ
Looks like you have a bit to do so will stop by your page every now and then to see how your getting on. Best of luck
KB

Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a brave man Cochise!

Great to see this (these) bike/s going back together. Keep up the good work!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 AM

I can see a very nice bobber in there - whats your aim looks wise?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Welcome Crew

you have put a fair bit of work in to that already Cochise
i reckon she`s gonna look good, will drop in on the thread and look foward to your progress

Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Don't know that I'm totally comfortable with that front end look. I guess fashions change; back in my day this was the cool look.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. Looks wise I am going for pretty much how it turns out. Kind of a mix between old school street fighter and bobber. There is so much work that could have been done such as stripping the paint and painting it nicely and polishing all the ally. To be honest I am just building it on a budget, as cheap as possible. I am not bothered at all about it looking shiny and sweet. Its going back together as was just without the rust. All the rusty chrome is just being sanded back and the paint work on the plastics left.
I like the rough and rugged look. I have had the shiny bikes and annoyed the hell out of myself when they got crapped up or scratched.
I did look for a front end made of onions, but they are thin on the ground, even in france.... I could have had one with tomatoes but didnt thing the bright red colour would fit in the general scheme of things
This is how it looks today061_zps97690a64.jpg?t=1394047533

Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a picture of the front end now? (love the triple trees) I can't wait to see where this goes!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 PM

Wow,
You going with a standard rider profile or more original sports rider profile?

Quick Reply: My Build