The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic
View Poll Results: Audio enterntainment while riding?
No, the risks are too high
61.90%
Yes, Music & Bluetooth are my constant companions
33.33%
No Music, just Bluetooth to be reachable via phone
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Music while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music while riding?

I'm not sure what kind of gear everyone is using, but, when i got my Joe Rocket jacket, and then looked at the latest backpacks, it seems that many items are suddenly outfitted with holes to permit headphones to be threaded through.
How many of you are actually listening to an MP3 player while riding or use bluetooth connections in their helmets?

F.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 AM

see...that's just the thing. I don't quite get why someone would bring music along.
Maybe that's overly street poetic, but to me, the road provides the music and my pipes lay the "humm" underneath. I have yet, even long distance, to feel the need for music.
Then again, i'm 37...maybe the "new generation" of riders is looking for additional entertainment while riding?

F.

Thanks to all the ones that are voting

Last edited by FargAT; 04-27-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: add on
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Nevada I just listen to the bike , I need to concentrate when I ride and distractions wouldn't help.

Maybe if I'd been riding for as long as the rest of you guy's I'd be listening to something on really long highway trips , but in traffic and on the twisty's I'd probably wipe myself out

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM

I've ridden from houston tx to atlanta ga stopping just long enough to fill up a couple of times and grap a cup of coffee...made it in 10 1/2 hours and never once missed not having a radio (WAY before mp3 players). I've always thought you should be paying attention to the bike, traffic and the road and thats already one more than i can handle at one time.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to listen to music once in a while, but found it too much of a hassle. I also didn't really like the possibility of distraction. I've been off the music for months.
I am guilty of singing in my helmet once in a while, though (ok..constantly)..
Lately it's been Johnny Cash. I just can't get it out of my head!
Like this

Is anybody else picturing nevada in his famous outfit... singing "get off my cloud" at the top of his lungs? Priceless..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM

I think the general consensus would be NO. The idea of using blutoof phone would be ok if you needed to be contacted, but not for me. Once the helmet is on and strapped up I'm zoned for riding.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually physically shuddered a little bit on that one.

Reminds me of this guy that used to mow the lawn at the township building by my house growing up. His name was Ted, and he was a big fat dude that would climb up on the tractor every saturday and sing to himself while he mowed. One day, my mom told my dad to go say something to old Teddy because it appeared that he was drunk and naked on the mower.
He's singing and mowing when my dad walks over. Turns out, he was drunk, but not naked. You just couldn't see his shorts.....at all...he was that "big".
My dad just laughed.

As far as bluetooth, I've thought about it many times. I'm on call for work, and I have to check my phone all the time at stops to make sure everything is ok. It sucks. I'm seriously considering getting one just because of that. Otherwise, I pretty much despise them...

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

although music is good to listen to when riding, every crash i have had (2) i have had with my ipod in......it lessens my concentration

Quick Reply: Music while riding?