The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Motorcycle shopping today

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Thruxton is British so will turn heads whether people know about bikes or not!
The Bandit is a stock run of the mill jap bike just like the bloke next door
The Buell has got class but could end up unreliable and parts are expensive

Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the Thrux, but I'm maybe a little young to really appreciate the style of a "throwback" cafe racer type. It is certainly a nice looking bike, though. It would no doubt turn my head if I saw it. Definately a unique bike. I'm not sure if the power would be impressive enough for somebody like you, though...
The Bandit is a good all-arounder, I think. The 2009 Model year added a secondary balancer shaft and some electrochemical cylinder plating. I was just reading about this. I don't think there were any other notable changes. Everybody seems to like them. Reliable, good at everything, all arounder that seems to be on the sporty side of "sport tourer".
The Buell is made by HD.
Seriously (and I didn't think I'd ever say this), I'm quite interested in this one. It seems that Buell has really worked the bugs out of these bikes. I couldn't find many complaints at all about this bike. Everybody seems to like their's, and many are putting some good miles on them. The lack of maintenance seems appealing, but mixed signals from anything belt-driven. Also used, as the other bikes are not, but that could be a good thing in negotiations. I'm actually kind-of pulling for Buell. (We need some good, sporty, american bikes on the scene) I think could be a great bike, and certainly seems to have some *****.
Sorry I couldn't be any more help...
What are your thoughts abou the three, nevada? Have you gotten to ride them at all. I know how most dealers are about letting you tear 'em up....they won't...and it sucks.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator - Retired

Oh, I see I was babbling while you were...(stop interrupting me!!)

I think the thrux is ****in' neat looking. I think it would be a fun bike, too, and certaily not one you're gonna see everywhere.
Are you gonna get goggles? Perfect addition to the "outfit"...

Old 05-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheep skin flying jacket or a black Belstaff is required, OH and a white silk scarf!! LOL

Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late response, my Nevada Brother. (i miss living in NV).]

Why the K1200RS? Simple. It's incredibly reliable bike with a shaft drive, solid electronics, a bullet proof engine, a comfortable riding position that only forces you to stop once you need a nap, otherwise you could ride all day.
There's a reason the CA highway cops are using the K12, one of my buddies, a cop in Las Vegas, bought one for his own personal arsenal since he's riding something else when on duty.
Last but not least, given that she's a bike "off the shelve", the BMW retains its value relatively well throughout time, minimizing the "loss" when selling her again.

just my 2 cents

F.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yep, you got it sawnee. He probably has 'em all so that shouldn't be a problem.
However, he prefers a pink scarf....
(i know there's white on the bike, but it doesn't matter...)

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

Some very good points.
I had the same feeling about the Thrux when I looked at the specs. Dead. One of the tests I read said that the bike COULD do 120mph. What does COULD mean, and only 120mph!!?? They also said that they would definately get some sort of aftermarket pipes for it, because the stock ones make it sound really weak...even weaker than it is.
I guess the Thrux is what it is....a head-turner. I'm sure it's a quality bike, too, though.

The trade in/resale values is a great point. Something I bet most people don't even think about. I'd be hammering on that Buell dealer!
As far as the Thruxton, that's a pretty big depreciation as soon as it hit's the asphalt! I mean, I know bikes do that (just like anything, really), but that seems like a bit much.

Enjoy the fight, nevada, hope it's a good one! After you get done crawling home, you'll have to drop by the Beer Bar and report on what kind/how good the beer was. Even if it's a domestic light, I expeect a complete review!!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did over 1000 miles on the BEAST in Jan this year - I was impressed with it all in all, although it's so damned TALL !

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle shopping today-beast.jpg  

Quick Reply: Motorcycle shopping today