The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Life can bite you in the . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Life can bite you in the . . .

This past week one of the hardest decisions I've ever made was finalized. The CBR will go up foir sale in May. Since childhood essential tremor has been my companion and now it's to the point that clutch, throttle and brake control are impaired to the point that I can't safely operate the bike.

My decision only. The wife, bless her forever, never pressed me to give it up even after my get off a year ago last August. In fact, she was as sad as I at giving up something I've loved.

So now a few last cosmetic upgrades, a tweak of the modified CCT, the spring oil change and tune up and then advertise it. I'd really like to see it go to a mature rider who will treat it kindly. Time will tell.

I'd looked forward to riding into my 80's. But here I am only 72 and quitting. Life is unpredictable, eh?

Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really sorry to hear that DRam, it must have been a hard decision, Im sure you will find a good home for the bike.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know what I can say DRam that will lessen the pain.

It must have been a very difficult decision and good on your Wife for supporting you, she has my respect.

Cheers and respect, SB

Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, DRam... I hate to see you stripped of something you wanted to keep doing. I'm glad it was up to you though. That kind of thing can eat away at someone if its the other way around...

Here's to hoping you stay involved in the forum.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much more I can add except I hope I can keep riding until I am 72....actually I would just be happy to still be breathing.

Nothing says you can`t keep contributing here though

Old 03-11-2016, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow gutted - what about a trike converion and a foot brake. Your throttle control may be more controllable without your weight on your arms???

Old 03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. A CBR trike. Now that's something to think about. Actually Pam did ask if I would be interested in a CanAm Spyder. Maybe. One reviewer said it was like riding a snowmobile on the street. I'd have to try one and see what it's like.

I intend to stick around. Gotta see how Sprock gets along with his new baby girl. And keep up with everyone else too.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best of luck with your future and what you decide on.

My hands keep cramping while riding. I keep thinking that instead of riding off into the sunset, I'll be riding off into the bushes.LOL But I have made that decision. It really sucks to make those kind of decisions, I understand the mental pain of not being able to do what you want. There is noting wrong with a rag top either.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well DRam I for one know you have had a wonderful relationship with the Hurricane
over the years and the decision you just made is all about a personal perspective of
ones own riding responsibilities which in my opinion are the products of your
many years of experience and respect for all aspects of safely riding a powerful sportbike.
ET is an unfortunate condition but I like the idea of your considering a three wheeler
could even be in the form of ural with a sidecar or triumph with one or something like that.

You could consider some mods like an EMF auto clutch
Adding Spiegler braided lines etc to boost min brake effort req'd and few other things
for throttle controls too.

New ride is great thanks - I'll add a little ride report in there in the next few days as I
work through it this weekend but so far it mostly but does have some non straight
line quirks that can get you tensed up a bit lol

Old 03-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

(with a glass raised)

I hope that time will grant you the favor of one last mile to savor

To DRam!

Last edited by wooferdog; 03-15-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Life can bite you in the . . .