The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I shake my head in amazement.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I shake my head in amazement.

1) What is it that makes these brilliant criminal master minds even think of this stuff?.

2) How can a modern and presumably audited authority like a City Council lose 100 cars?

The final comments would seem to indicate that things all fell apart a bit back in May and he maybe took the easy option; presumably leaving his family to deal with the grief and shame.

I actually knew this guy from a former life, always did think he was a bit of a smarmy little git.

I guess I have a much better future as a judge of character, than a criminal mastermind.

DCC inquiry into missing fleet vehicles | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Poor bookkeeping no matter how you look at it.
Either someone was making money by selling the cars by capitalizing on poor bookkeeping or the poor bookkeeping lost tract of the cars.

I use to work at a fortune 500 company and liked to stay busy and find an active charge number. One day I was walking through the office and passed the bean counters cube. I asked if he needed help. He assigned me to matching capital numbers to actual equipment. I found a few hundred thousand dollars of equipment the company didn't know existed. When bidding on jobs, its important to know how much equipment you own so that you can charge equipment rental rates accordingly.

In the case of the missing cars, I sure the tax payers are paying for maintenance and upkeep on 100 cars that don't exist.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in 94 the Govt bought 100's of cars and "Utes" for use by people to monitor the elections. When it was all over, a huge number were "missing". Some even disappeared from convoys returning to major centres. No comment on where they went or how many were ever recovered has been publicised................
IMHO every Government is corrupt - it's just the degree of corruption that's up for debate.........

Old 06-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite agree Shadow, every three years we get to chose between "that bunch of crooked bastards" or "that bunch of crooked ******".

Personally, I tend to abstain; I think it just encourages them if you vote for them.

In the above case however, this is not an elected member. He was an appointed servant of the city, who saw an opportunity to further line his own nest.

What I find difficult to fathom, (if this has really been going on for a decade) is why someone down in accounts didn't ask the basic question back in 2005.

"Hang on; how come we still apparently own a 1996 Toyota Starlet, but we haven't paid for any fuel or servicing for it since 2002?"

I suspect the answer would be "I'm in charge of the vehicles, how dare you question my authority?"

Workplace bullying taken to a whole new level.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

PSSSSSST Wanna buy a used car? Only used for a short while by some stoooopid council peoples

See SB's Crazy Council Car Sales

Cheers, SB

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I could abstain from voting, but here in Oz it is compulsory to vote, so much for living in a so called free country.