The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I need some help with my johnson...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some help with my johnson...

...outboard motor please. What were some of you thinking??

So, a few years ago the boat got put up to rest for a while due to the rusted out trailer. Time gets away from me somewhat, due to living in the country, but I got to the trailer this holiday. It was beyond repair so we got a good second hand one, fixed the seized steering using lots of silicone spray, a hammer, and various length drifts, as well as cutting a bit of fibreglass out to allow the cable to be withdrawn without sliding the motor over.

I squirted some spray in the plug holes and turned the motor over by hand for a while, cleaned out the fuel tank, and mixed new fuel. New battery and the prop in a cut off 44 gal drum full of water to well above the water intakes.

Surprisingly, it fired straight up, not bad after 5 years!!! However the cooling water isn't coming out of the telltale as I would like and the motor felt too hot. I think I need to replace the impeller. I know f#ck all about boat motors but want to do this myself because I'm a tight bastard and would rather spend my personal $$ on shooting and beer.

I've downloaded a manual but wondered if, by chance, any of you are familiar with this particular motor and have done this job. The motor is an '86 Johnson 60 VRO 3 cylinder two stroke. It's old but hasn't done much work and went hard last time we went out. I'm not going to cook it for the sake of a bit of effort and a few $$. I just can't stomach the thought of paying somebody to do something that I'm sure I can do.

Any help would be much appreciated...any "just buy a Honda 4 stroke motor" comments would not be so welcome since I just don't have the cash...one day though

I hope you guys had a good Xmas and are coping with all the left over ham.

Regards,

Dave.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Could it be that a mug wasp packed some mug up in the water ways? They are cleaver about where they pack mud.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprock has Johnsons I think - I'm limited to 3 cyl Yamahas and the procedure may be a bit different..............
Not difficult to do - I used to drop the outboard lower leg out to do the impeller as I recall, but your engine may be different.......
Good luck with it..................

Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, and same to you Steve. I'm still picking it's the impeller in the water pump so I'll probably get a kit and have a stab at it. Everywhere's shut 'til wednesday so i'll have to wait.

The motor hasn't been in salt for years and was always flushed with fresh after use. My FIL bought it new and looked after it pretty well...gave it to us about eight years ago. Really, this motor's done bugger all work despite it's age. I used it a fair bit in the dams around here but when the drought really bit I gave it a miss. Now everythings filling up or full and I'm keen to get out there again. TYB nags me about it too! The new (to me) tilt trailer looks good and I can't wait to try it but there's no point rushing and stuffing the motor. I'll sort the water pump, change the gearbox oil and she should be right to go.

Those mud wasps are a real ba5tard! There were a couple of nests in the upper exhaust holes but I hooked them out with thin wire and couldn't feel any resistance up higher. Ever had a look inside one? Creepy ****!! Heaps of paralysed spiders for the larvae to eat.

I might give Sprock a shout since he's familiar with Johnsons...That doesn't sound right to me.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry , busy day readying for 2ft of snow putting chains on me plough etc.
anyways Dave

nothing worse than a Johnson that gets to hot so the best fix is to by a Honda 4 stroke .....*****

Seriously though , 1 st place to start is the impeller on the lower end housing , drop the the lower unit (detach gear link 1st) open up the pump housing and replace.
Bolt back up retach the gear link........ run and see if it's cooling .......if it's still heating
up the the termostat is sticking or bad ..... refer to you book to pull it out and steep
it in vinegar ..... ..... I had a 98 75HP 3 cylinder I sold recently ....and the damn book
is downstairs ....never had to touch the termo on it ......but lemme look it up and I'll
get ya the low down on it........

Last edited by Sprock; 12-26-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks Sprock...apart from the Honda 4 stroke remark. I'll ring around for parts on Wednesday and go from there. I understand there's a kit available and will probably get one of those, rather than just the impeller.

What year models does your book cover? I've hit the boat with the pressure washer this morning although it's raining that f'n hard I could probably just leave it outside.

I might PM you with daft questions when I start the job if that's ok?

Stay warm when you're outside cooking on the BBQ mate.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My seloc manual covers 1990 to 2001 Dave but the fundamental designs never
changed much..... the thermo should be top rear of block above cylinder head on top,
cover, gasket, thermostat , take thermostat out and soak in vinegar then test motion
in a cup with boiling water ......you should see it open and close !

If it won't after vinegar treatment , need a new one

PM me anytime man we're snowed in ....no work tomorrow in any event

Can take pic's of diags and txt from the seloc book

The impeller kit is a good idea man , new impeller , plate , key and gasket ...way to go
Watch that key don't drop down the tube !!!! ask me how I know this
While you have the lower unit off might as well change the gear oil.

Open two plugs drain out - fill from bottom until it comes out top ! and pull the
prop check the shaft seal for fishing line chewing it up ......always happens to me

Last edited by Sprock; 12-26-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
PM me anytime man we're snowed in ....no work tomorrow in any event
check the shaft

GO figure....

The guy needs help with his Johnson and Sprock offers to take a day off and invites him over!!

Quick Reply: I need some help with my johnson...