The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Good day to dog of a day

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good day to dog of a day

Went for a run to pick up a new bike cover today and to see if the new oil (Motul 3100 gold Technosynthese 15w/50) quietened things down in the top end, fist service since top end rebuild, short answer is yes it does. Also, gear changed feel a bit easier.
After a nice ride I got home and thought it was still a nice day so I would take my dogs for a run on the beach, I let my blue heeler off the lead but kept my hunting hound (fox hound) on the lead as she just goes hunting if you let her off, next thing the heeler takes off up a steep bank barking at something, I call her back then notice out of the corner of my eye one blue heeler in freefall of a 5 meter (18-20ft)bank and splat on the sand, she got up and limped toward me whimpering then just fell to the ground! I scooped her up in my jacket and carried her the mile or so then up a fair bank to the carpark next to my house, I was absolutely knackered, gonna have to give up the smokes. Some nice bystanders held her on the ground while I ran the last 50 meters to home to get my 4wd to take her to the vet. When I got the car to her the bystander had his knee on her holding her down as she had tried to chase after me! Got her to the vet who suspects only a broken leg but won't find out till x-rays tomorrow.
On getting home, my wife had gone looking for my hound who had decided to go hunting! She found the bitch deep in some scrub whimpering too! Luckily she was only sooking because her lead had got her stuck! My wife got covered in blackberry scratches getting her out.
I think I am glad today is over and hope to get a good report from the vet tomorrow.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a downer man , hope it's not too bad of a break, could have been worse though
had she landed differently. Hope she mends nicely.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

If that's a Blue Heeler ?- very fine dogs - believe it or not the guy I bought my wife's CB750 from has 5 of them here in SA. Sure the pup will be fine - as for the hunting dog, I'd say that's had a lesson too
Hope tomorrow's better for you.
You can either stop smoking or carry a smaller dog....HEHE

Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry your day turned so sh1tty!

Here's hoping your dog recovers fully.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM

I hope all goes well at the vet mate! Lucky it just looks like a leg too...still gonna cost you one of those and an arm Vets don't miss your wallet do they?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, jarvid. Best of luck to you and the pup. But like Sprock said... coulda been worse.
Hell of a chit day, tho, for sure.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Welcome Crew

The vet took the x-rays and found a break at the femural kneck, just below where the leg connects to the hip, cheap vet fix $600-$700 cut off top of femur and let heel as a fused joint, vet is getting price off orthopeadic surgeon for pining this is the best fix as dog straight up and around but expensive, my hunting buddy's fix about 50 cents, same as what was going to happen to the old hound I got, he was going to retire her from his pack so I took her on for retirement(coul not let him shoot her just cause she was gettin old, about 11-12 now) She is still a good hunting partner,although she does not go out as often now. So looks like I could buy another CBR for the price I am going to pay to get her fixed. It is the least I can do for her even though I have only had her a few months (I inherited her when my uncle who passed away a whlie back, I said I would look after her as he was worried she would have to be put down if a good home wasn't found for her when he was gone) So it looks like I am a bit ruff and tuff on the outside,big 4wd,big bike,hunter and fisherman but I do have a soft spot for dogs.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth the fixing imo on account of the history of your Uncle passing her in to you.
It'd be nice to keep her around with the memories and history that accompany the dog.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Yeah jarvid, f#ck the money mate!

My 4 dogs have cost me literally thousands of dollars...that's just the current pack, there's 4 here in the ground too!

I couldn't give a stuff because they're my mates!

I only bought my Doberman (9 yrs old now). The other three are rescue jobs so I also know a thing or two about being soft .

Quick Reply: Good day to dog of a day