CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   The Hurricane Saloon (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/)
-   -   Fuel Leak (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/fuel-leak-158073/)

Jsceen 08-13-2018 03:24 PM

Fuel Leak

Hello all,
I have a big fuel leak and need to get it fixed.
The back story: I bought my 96' CBR1000F back in February and used it for about a month without any problems and had to park it for 6 months. When I sent my brother to start it up this weekend for me, it starts up and runs (I had a battery tender connected to it) but it leaks fuel, alot of fuel. Its a steady stream and not drops. Since it runs, I dont think its the carbs but I must assume that a hose or hoses dry rotted since it runs.

Where can I order all the fuel lines for this bike? Since my brother is willing to change the hoses for me, I want to order all the fuel lines so he can just swap out the bad ones or all of them if he is in a good mood. Can I buy a hose kit? Or what size fuel lines are they so he can just cut to size?

I suspect that this is an ethanol based problem since I am a boater and know all too well the effects of ethanol on fuel lines that are not ethanol "compliant".

Thanks all!

trachito 08-13-2018 03:39 PM

I use bikebandit for my OEM parts, although I didn't see the F on there. Where are you located?

wes 17 08-13-2018 07:05 PM

Are you sure you have a fuel line issue ? The bike seems to have been standing a while and you could have a carb’ float(s) sticking which would give the same impression.

Jsceen 08-13-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17 (Post 1316720)
Are you sure you have a fuel line issue ? The bike seems to have been standing a while and you could have a carb’ float(s) sticking which would give the same impression.

I am in no way a mechanic butI thought about that but the bike runs/idles good. I have a video of it idling without a problem. But if thats the case, is there any easy fix to this?

hamlin6 08-13-2018 08:15 PM

The bike is a '96. That's 22 years to you and me. The fuel lines could simply be dry, old and brittle. It doesn't necessarily mean an ethanol issue.
1st step is to determine exactly what is leaking from where. Go to bike bandit like suggested or cheap cycle parts or any other place that sells them. If you're tight on $$, go to.an auto parts store and buy some fuel hose with the same inside diameter and you will be GTG.

TimBucTwo 08-14-2018 10:10 AM

^+1
Cut a piece of line and match it up with what's at a parts store only after you are able to tell if a carb needle is not sticking.

Jsceen 08-14-2018 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 (Post 1316725)
The bike is a '96. That's 22 years to you and me. The fuel lines could simply be dry, old and brittle. It doesn't necessarily mean an ethanol issue.
1st step is to determine exactly what is leaking from where. Go to bike bandit like suggested or cheap cycle parts or any other place that sells them. If you're tight on $$, go to.an auto parts store and buy some fuel hose with the same inside diameter and you will be GTG.

I will be buying them off of bikebandit, Thanks! How do I know what size (diameter) they are.

Should I buy braided lines or not get fancy?

Thanks again!

hamlin6 08-14-2018 12:38 PM

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen braided fuel lines for them. I don't know how that would work as they simply slip over the T-joints and have low pressure clamos holding them in place. I personally wouldn't spend the money on them. The regular ones are more than adequate.
If you use bike bandit just follow the steps using your bikes info and it will have a microfiche that shows you the lines.

Jsceen 08-15-2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 (Post 1316758)
To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen braided fuel lines for them. I don't know how that would work as they simply slip over the T-joints and have low pressure clamos holding them in place. I personally wouldn't spend the money on them. The regular ones are more than adequate.
If you use bike bandit just follow the steps using your bikes info and it will have a microfiche that shows you the lines.

Thanks Hamlin! You just saved me some money.
Can you tell me the size of the hoses? I have called Honda and they can't answer the question. I want to buy all the different fuel lines and have my brother cut to size as needed but there seems to be like 10 different sizes and since I don't have the bike in front of me, I have no idea which size to order.

Thanks!

hamlin6 08-15-2018 09:06 AM

I don't know the size off the top of my head. It's probably a 1/4" ID. But to be sure, just take a length of the old hose to the parts store and they will match it up. If you are ordering online, as long as you follow the steps and are on the right microfiche, it'll be right.