The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Fork seal removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork seal removal

Hi Guys just a quick one, i have the forks off the bike and the damper springs out of the forks, just trying to split chrome tube from outer tube i have removed dust cover and the snap ring below it , if i just pull them in opposite direction should the tubes seperate bringing the old seal seal with it, or is there another snap/retaining ring below the seal ? Just don't want to force it till i'm sure.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have removed the dust seal AND the snap-ring, you are good to go.

I clamp the lower in a vise (with something to prevent marring).
Then grab the tube and yank it hard, a couple of times. It will pop the seal loose,
freeing it to slide over the top.

Do a search/google and you can find great video/talk-throughs, etc.
The more the better.

Also do a search for "PVC homemade seal driver", that will get you hooked-up
on the re-install.

Ern

Old 08-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks Ern,

Just wanted to make sure, i have seen the video and the post of the seal installer very innovative.

Cheers

Colin

Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 AM

You do need to undo the capscrew in the base of the fork accessed through the hole perpendicular to the axis of the axle shaft as this retains the damper rod seat and until you release this it will not allow the outer aluminium case and the upper rod to be seperated as there is a damper rod inside the upper chrome tube that is loaded from the top and retained at the bottom of the outer tube.This capscrew is normally pretty tight as it has probably never been touched since new and you need a 8mm long inhex socket to get it undone (I think it is 8 but it may only be a 6mm) or you could use a allen key with a spanner if you are lucky. Once you have released this lower seat you will be able to use the upper tube to remove the seal from the outer tube . Reassembly is pretty straightforward as the seat fits onto a real narrow taper so it tightens up easily .If you are stripping to this point it may be a good idea to check and replace the slider bushes as wear on these can be a major cause of premature fork seal failure (a lesson learned on my V Max)

Hope this is of some help
JK

Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks JK,

I already have all the inners out, just didn't want to force until i was sure, new Honda seal's being delivered tomorrow so should be back in business for the weekend. All was fine until last week as myself and my good lady covered 670 miles on the old girl fully loaded around our lovely Scottish Highland roads, barring the leaky right seal she never missed a beat not bad for 19 yrs old

Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Just a quick thanks for the advise, fork seals,lower bushes and top bushes all replaced and back together front end feels so much more solid now, by the way only special tool needed was a screwdriver buffed at tip to assist tapping in new top bush by using washer on top and also carefully put seals in with this as well, total spend £58.00 GBP for all genuine parts and oil, Result !