The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Forgot my Anniversary!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Forgot my Anniversary!

No not that one , I mean the important one! I passed my bike test a year ago last month!! WOO HOOOO

Though 'cos I didn't get the 'old lady' untill the November , I got a while to go before I feel I can say I been riding for a year .

But despite my knackered shoulder I went out for a ride today for the first time in TEN DAYS and it was fab!! A bit windy on the hilltops , but cool and comfortable to ride in , a few cops but I was taking it kinda easy anyhow . So I've come back all smiles , despite the pain in my shoulder and I thought I'd share a few observations of things I've learned as a total greenhorn in the last year.

1. Find what you think is the bikes limits and multiply by at least two(she can get around any corner you like at amazing speed , your the weak link!)

2. Find out what your limits are and DIVIDE by at least two.

3. Be paranoid! They really are all out to kill you!

4. Don't trust anyone else on the road , at best they'll surprise you , at worst they might kill you!

5. Trust only what your own eyes and ears tell you.

6. Learn to doubt what your eyes and ears tell you(see 5).

7. Bikes don't have a reverse gear , never get too close to the car in front , even when stationary . This especially applies when parked behind an old lady facing downhill and she decides to throw it into reverse and crush you to death (see 3).

8. Find out where the Horn button is (note to self , it's the one you keep hitting instead of cancelling the indicators!) and use it!! (see 7)

9. OK so you been a car driver for 32 years , but RIDE the bike DON'T drive it!!

10. The bikes' engine rev's high so grab a hand-full of throttle , twist even more and when you think it's time to change gear twist it again(see 9)

I'd just like to add that these are personal observations and apply to me alone , I'm not trying to preach to anyone least of all you guy's , you all have more experience , knowledge and skill than me and no-one is more aware of that than me

And on that note I'd like to say a big thank you to all the guys on here , you've been a great help over the last year ! I know I've got a lot more out than I've put in! Thanks , if your ever down in Brighton , I might let you buy me a beer

Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 AM

I have been kinda tryin to make up for lost time Steve I ride damn near every chance I get bein a late starter 'n' all. I reccon with my job being the way it is it gives me an unfair advantage

Not looking forward to this winter though , I'll drive the missus nuts mopin about lookin at the sky waiting for a break in the clouds

Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow "greenhorn" and Hawkwind don't go together at all. You seem as clued in
as most of the rest of us on here Steve ,........'cept of course nudge nudge wink wink
..................... "The GrandDaddy's" aka Batman and Wobbin !.........they have that
senior role thing down good and so by default a greater repertoire of experiences.

Last edited by Sprock; 08-28-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM

Ha Steve , I've been rubber neckin' bikes all my life , can't let one go by without checking it out!

Can't see me ever not having a bike now , wasted too much time already and lets face it they're 'cheap thrills!' There's nothing to match a bike on thrills for your buck.

Hey Sprock , I'm not actually that far behind the the 'granddaddies' age wise

BTW congrats on your 1000th post!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your anniversary! I wonder if you get a gold key fob at 20 years?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by DaoJones
Congratulations on your anniversary! I wonder if you get a gold key fob at 20 years?
Don't know , but Dylan says Sprock has a golden ring

Quick Reply: Forgot my Anniversary!