The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Dupe from alt parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dupe from alt parts

Hey,

I'm running a duplicate post from the one I did in Alt parts. I ran across this item today. Never seen one in all of my previous searches and would lke to get some discussion going on it.

New Electric Fuel Pump Fits For CBR1000F Hurricane 1987 1991-in Fuel Supply & Treatment from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Old 06-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali Express?

No thank you sir.

Probably one of the biggest online retailers in the world.

But would you buy a Chinese made motorcycle?

Let's just work through the numbers, How many Mk 1 bikes still using fuel pumps are left in the world?

OK, let's be generous and call it maybe 10 000. But how many need a fuel pump today from Ali Express?

Possibly 100 in the world. But they have seen fit to replicate this part with a potential sale of 100.

Very generous Asian website.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 06-29-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think you need a fuel pump unless you want the bike to continue to run while its upside down and on top of you while your in a ditch due to poor judgment while cornering extremely fast, checking your e-mails from your cell phone and fumbling with a hot dog in the other hand.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Here's the scenario.

Back in 2010 my pump failed. Searched high and low for a replacement to no avail. Finally located the points set that fixed the pump but 3 years later it failed me on the road. That was it. I went to gravity feed right then and there and had no problem whatsoever until last week.

Doing coolant leak fix and a tune-up. I had the tank propped up. Fixed the coolant leak, changed the oil and filter. Cleaned and oiled the K&N. Then set about to change the plugs. Buttoned everything up and stared the bike. It was boggy and wouldn't idle and I smelt an overpowering odor of gasoline everywhere. That's when looked at my gauge and noticed that I had lost a significant amount of fuel.

I asked myself. Where did all of my gas go? . Then it occurred to me to check my oil level. Sure enough my crankcase was full of gasoline.

This now, is a situation I had read about, but until this moment had never experienced.

Now my mistake I'll admit lead me to look for a cure before I looked for a cause. I realize now that I need to go through my petcock as well but that's a story for another day

The cure is to go back to Le pompe. Found one on ebay for $57.00 and it arrived today.

Yesterday, I ran across the Chinese pumps.

At that price it wouldn't hurt to have a couple on hand for future use.

Now I'm also out the money for 4 quarts of oil and a new filter. Strange upside to all of this is when I drained the sump the gasoline soaked oil ran out black. So maybe I did a little deep cleaning. Not a method I'd recommend but I'm trying to stay optimistic about all of this.

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-29-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: My cat is cool
Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess if you take the pump out, you should have been shutting the fuel off at the petcock. May be why Honda put the vacuum operated one on after removing the pumps.

That fuel/oil mixture can be put to good use. Soak it up with rags and tie the rags to a wire hanging from a tree. Lite the rags and swing them around. That would be a fun way of getting rid of it.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I left fuel tap `on` on my new second hand atv and o/night the fuel drained into the sump, turned out to be a stuck float valve.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 AM

I'm with you on this Jarvid. For years, I never, ever turned the tap off with or without the pump and it only happened now.

Age and mileage of the bike says it's probably due for a carb rebuild

Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 PM

Funny,

Now that I think about it the only time I ever turned the tap off since I've owned the bike was the first time I tried to figure out which position was reserve