The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Do I have to replace the cam tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to replace the cam tensioner?

I am about to replace my cam chain $ 100. Do I need to replace the cam tensioner? The cam tensioner is $200. How do you check the tensioner to validate replacing it? The bike is a 1988 Honda Hurricane 1000.

Update- I have decided to wait on the cam chain replacement. The engine after warmed up is sounds normal. I got a little paranoid after reading all the info on this and then listening to my on bike. It does make a little rattle when cold but after 10 min she sounds fine.

Thanks

Last edited by hurricanematt; 08-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Sounds the same as mine mate. After ten mins she's all good. Just get on it and ride it. Its a Honda motor...enough said.....

Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanematt
I am about to replace my cam chain $ 100. Do I need to replace the cam tensioner?
I replaced mine with 20k miles on it. I now have 29K miles on the CCT and it is starting to rattle when cold. If it rattles when warmed up I will replace it. I am careful to baby it until it warms up so that I don't whip the chain and weaken it. I didn't replace the chain when I did the CCT but I will the next time.

To answer the question; If you change the chain, yes the CCT should be changed (if not first).

Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

The more I read about these things and the more I ride mine the less important I think it is. I've never heard of a cam chain break. The tensioners are of a very dubious design and to be honest when I changed mine I couldn't tell the difference between the old one and the new one. I am still trying to decide what exactly makes the CCT good or bad.
The idea is that the spring pressure of the CCT takes up the slack as do most automatic CCT's but the 1KF unit uses engine oil in a small cylinder to hold the tension, like a ratchet.
I have never quite worked out why these engines get so rattly when cold as in theory once the play in the chain has been taken up by the CCT it should not really come back but it certainly does as everyone will testify.
Whenever I've had the rocker cover off I've always filled the oil chamber around the tensioner and then put a screw driver against the CCT linkage and given it a few pushes to operate the lever a few times until I can no longer make it move any more. This seems to quieten it down for a couple of thousand miles at least but it does start making that damned noise again after a while for no apparent reason.
I can only imagine that it doesn't get enough oil in it during normal running. This also explains why most people say it quietens down after a few miles of running.
I dunno..... perhaps they leak. I'm still pondering.
I shouldn't worry unduly though, it's a well know problem and you're unlikely to do any damage if it's making a noise.
If it's still stupidly loud after a decent run you should look into it though.
Hope that helps.
One day someone will invent a manual CCT and then we can all breath easy.
Hmm.... must put that on my 'to do' list.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Mine is a bit rattly for about the first 2 minutes of running from cold ... then no noise that's noticable .... TBH I thought thats how they were from the factory. lol

Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
I can only imagine that it doesn't get enough oil in it during normal running. This also explains why most people say it quietens down after a few miles of running.
I dunno..... perhaps they leak. I'm still pondering.
I think of them more like a hydraulic lifter. They pump up taking up slack in the system they are in. There is also some spring pressure pushing the plunger up and the oil fills the area under it damping the tensioner. I think the plunger rubs the walls of the tensioner body and as it wears a path for the oil to escape. The more oil that escapes, the less hydraulic lock and the more the piston osculates and the quicker it wears the CCT wall.... and on ...and on.....

You can also think of them as a shock absorber when they are pumped up.

I agree that there is a lack of oil feeding down to it. The only place it can come from is the can chain sprocket above it after the bike has been running and picking some up.

I don't like the mechanical tensioners as much as the hydraulic ones. Mechanical one can be to tight and weaken the chain.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Everything is good in moderation. A little rattle is not bad. If these bikes had a dry clutch like on a Ducati, you would not even hear the CCT and it would not be an issue.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Please read the exchange between me and shadow, we wre talking about it, oil has to build the pressure when you start the motor, use 15w50 and you will see a difference, same kind of designed as the saturn engines and other car engines that use a chain instead of timeing belt..

my two cents

Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Everything is good in moderation. A little rattle is not bad. If these bikes had a dry clutch like on a Ducati, you would not even hear the CCT and it would not be an issue.
Why?

Quick Reply: Do I have to replace the cam tensioner?