The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Darn Pesky Wabbit!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Darn Pesky Wabbit!!

I love to go out realy early in the morning , especially Sundays and Bank holidays the problem is when there's absolutely no traffic the local wild life comes out in force!!
Everything from foxes , deer , rabbits , magpies , crows and stupid fat wood pigeons!

With the road-kill from the night before , the magpies and crows treat the roads like an all you can eat buffet ! They're not too bad 'cos at least they have some road sense , but those stupid pigeons panic and dart away and then back into your path , it's enough to put a guy off!

The deer do the same type of thing , but I give them a wide berth , they're a bit too big to squash

But the worst of all is when you're barrelling round a corner , leant right over in a nice 90 or 110 degree bend and some Damn Pesky Wabbit runs straight across your path !! I sound like Elmer Fudd when I'm riding'I'm gonna get you , you damn pesky wabbit!

I think I'm gonna have to get a skewer fixed to the front of my bike , by the time I get home I should have a pretty good kebab on there

Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha.. I ran into the same problem last night.

I was out looking for some alternate routes to work, just riding around...
and a rabbit runs into the road. He runs straight down the middle of my lane. He would dart right, so I would go left, then he'd dart left, and I'd go right....etc. etc..
We did this for at least 75ft or so, and I was right on his ****. Almost hit him about 10 times. I finally just hit the brakes until I was almost stopped because I couldn't take it any more and he ran off.

I wish I had a video of it. It was funny. I've never had an experience quite like it. I've dodged them plenty of times, but this one wanted to play.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM

I think hitting one mid corner might upset the grip of the front tyre a bit , it surprises me that we get deer here though , there are hardly any woods around . It's not exactly wilderness in East Sussex

Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator - Retired

Don't know much about your area, but we get deer here all the time. Just tons of them. There is nothing but woods around.
When I ride at night, I'm constantly scanning the woods and fields for eyes. I've had a couple close calls.

When I lived out by the apple orchard, you would see them every night. I mean every night.
One night in my civic, I saw 5 or 6 crossing the road, so I shined my hi-beams into the field by the orchard and counted 27 deer at one time! Crazy.
One orchard owner had two huge dogs that patrolled all night long. In the morning, the dogs would usually have killed at least 2.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 AM

You be careful of those beasties Sir Trout! I know as least one guy from this site had a real bad crash with one of 'em

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Be Verwy Verwy Quiet

Name:  megun.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  43.5 KB

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

Remind me not to play in Harry's yard....

"Who likes guns??" HARRY likes guns!!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Default 'Roos and BIG dogs!

We get a lot of 'roos here, normally around dawn and dusk. Usually you're past them by the time you see them but I had one really try and take me out. I saw him running towards the road and hit the anchors as hard as I could. I just hit the tip of his tail!
Not long ago I was riding down the highway to work when I saw one of those big Marema dogs (those big white numbers that people run with their sheep and goats to protect them). It was standing in the middle of the lane facing me and crouching. I went one way, so did it. I went the other way and the b@stard did too. No ****, it was trying to get me and looked real cranky! I love dogs (got five of them) and have no fear of them at all but this thing was pushing 80 kilos and wanted to eat me. In the end I got down to first gear, faked one way, went the other way and cracked it open. It even had a go at chasing me but once the front wheel came down I was outa there!
Scared the crap out of me...good rush though!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Didn't you mom ever tell you not to play with strange dogs?

Quick Reply: Darn Pesky Wabbit!!