The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Beer Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beer Bar

So, what are some of your favorites? I've been on a chocolate stout kick lately and last night I had a couple Brooklyns. Damn fine stout.

I started off with a leftover Mad Elf (troegs), though. This is a cherry/honey ale. I don't generally like cherry anything, but DAM this is a good ale. Light cherry.

I also have a couple of Founders Breakfast Stouts Left, but I've been trying to hang on to them. It's an oatmeal stout with some chocolate and coffee undertones. Oh my, it's good. Figure I'll enjoy these this evening.

So what have you all been drinking on lately? Anything good you'd like to share?

I've been keeping my eyes open for some Mendecino Brews here lately. Haven't had a good blackhawk stout or redtail ale in years. I'd really like to try the whitehawk IPA, too. Never had it, but I love IPAs. My buddy brews a killer homebrew IPA. Mmmmm...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beer good! Me like beer!!....sorry , beer monster coming out there

I used to live in Holland and you could get some really cool Belgian beers , if you can get them try Trappist , Chimay or Lambic. They were traditionally brewed by monks and as they couldn't have sex they turned their imagination to creating wierd and strange beers like a rasperry beer called 'frambosen' , they come in little champagne type bottles with a wired cork 'cos they're so effervsent .

I like the white beers as well 'Oude Hougarten' is a well known one with a slightly flowery taste and there are plenty of weitsen beers out there from Germany , but be prepared to pay the price..........they make me fart like hurricane , no pun intended

But those beers , though interesting could never be a staple , for myself a great every day gulping or quaffing beer would be a Sam Smiths 'Taddy Porter', brewed in Tadcaster in Yorkshire . If your lucky you might find a pub near Tadcaster that serves it draft , but from the bottle it's fantastic stuff as well! Full of malty favour , but it'll sneak up on you and steal your legs when your not looking , so be carefull when you stand up to visit the powder room

Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator - Retired

I used to drink the **** out of Sammy Smith Nut Brown.
I found it at a little bar down south and loved it. Good stuff, no doubt.
I've never seen the porter around here, though.
I drink Newcastle Brown, too. That's a good all around drinking beer.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM

One of my favourite topics. In Australia I drink mainly Cooper's Sparkling Ale. No artificial crap in it, good flavours, comes with sediment in the bottles, and 5.8% so good bang for your buck.

In England I my favourites were Tanglefoot (aptly named), Old Thumper and Theakston's Old Peculiar. There used to be a real ale pub in a place called Rotherwick, turn right off the A30 West of Camberley from memory. Good country roads! Cool pub, all oak beams, big open fire and people from all walks of life just there for the beer. There was a regular croud of ale heads there every night. From us hairy bike riding types to a group of business men in a flash Rolls Royce. Never any trouble either, just how it should be. I went all nostalgic there for a minute... Anybody in Southern England area know if it's still there?

I'll be cracking a Cooper's in about 4 hours. Bring it on.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favourite subject....................
Imports for me,dont drink a lot of Aussie Beer[typical Pom]

Stellas,Beerlao,Bavaria,Lowenbrau, oh the list is endless............The Octoberfest,mans greatest invention for getting wiped out .

Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator - Retired

Nevada, never do fox terrier ****! Too watery....no flavor!!
I'm gonna throw a stone at your head for talkin' shlt about my vernacular, though......
Name:  keystone.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  49.9 KB

Hell, even better.... a whole bucket of Rocks at ya'...ya bloody yak herder!
Name:  bucket-rocks.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  14.2 KB

I know what you and steve mean about beer for when the weather is hot, and you're doin' the hard labor. I prefer Miller Lite. Great taste....less filling!
I grew up poor, too, Nevadaman...(and everybody wonders why I don't eat hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, and PB&J anymore....yuck)
Still slam me a couple PBRs, though!!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Here is my local brewery, its about 20 miles from me
www.shepherd-neame.co.uk
might bring back some memories for all you expats
Spitfire ale every time, Tanglefoot is another good beer Dave but not easy to get round here.One of the pubs in my town still brew their own beer, tastes like s##t but its got a kick to it. LOL

Last edited by sawnee; 05-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Beer Bar