How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

How To: Fit Buell Ulysses Pegs (1" drop)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Fit Buell Ulysses Pegs (1" drop)

Pics coming shortly...

This is a quick and dirty mod that anybody can do. If you have long legs and want some relief in your hips, order up a set of Buell Ulysses footpegs. They have a 1" drop in them and only take a little bit of work to make them fit.

So...

STEP 1:

Order up some footpegs:

Buell part N0006.1AD, goes for about $25-30 on ebay + shipping

STEP 2:
Remove the side panels and the kick plates (makes it easier for removing the footpeg pins.

Once that's done, undo the cotter pin and remove pull out the pin. Save the cotter pin and the small washer that fell off.

STEP 3:

Grind down the new pegs.
The new pegs are a little too wide to fit inside the bracket. The bracket measures 23mm wide while the new pegs are 24.5mm wide.

Take the pegs to a bench grinder and shave it down until it fits. I took it from the top of the peg only because the bottom had some angled pieces and I could wiggle around.

Step 4:

Put it all back together.

Don't forget to put the spring in first, then the peg, then the pin. Finally hold it together with the washer and the cotter pin.

STEP 5:

Adjust the shifter...

I moved the the pawl up one tooth so it gave me a close to the same feel as the old setup. Don't forget to adjust the brake pedal also (sorry no pics)

Some notes:

1. The new pegs are more swept back versus stock pegs. If you want them sticking straight out, you can grind a little off the front edge until it's to your liking.

2. The inspiration came from this thread and this thread. One of them said to put the washer between the peg and the bracket to remove and wobble (the hole on the peg is much larger than the hole on the bracket). I thought this would need the removal of too much material from the new peg so I ground them a little thick and jammed them in there with a rubber mallet (no wobble)

3. Keep your fingers clear of a bench grinder.

4. New working space ****ing rocks!!

Last edited by malbojah; 11-18-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good

Last edited by Sprock; 11-19-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I think a point that may not concern all 1000F riders , is that every inch you lower the pegs ...... you loose clearance when cornering??? ....

Me ... I need every inch of clearance that is available on mine ... LOL
I have also thought about the footpeg mod. I measured my lean indicators on the bike and think that from the ground up to them would be equal to the measurement of ground up to Buell pegs minus lean indicators.

Great write-up!
The question for Malbojah is, What do you get when you measure form the ground up to the bottom of the pegs?

I am willing to bet it is very similar to what I get up to the lean indicators.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to add plan on them scrapping when you lean too

Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I have also thought about the footpeg mod. I measured my lean indicators on the bike and think that from the ground up to them would be equal to the measurement of ground up to Buell pegs minus lean indicators.

Great write-up!
The question for Malbojah is, What do you get when you measure form the ground up to the bottom of the pegs?

I am willing to bet it is very similar to what I get up to the lean indicators.
I'll check in on Saturday (hopefully). Took it out today and came to the conclusion that I don't like the swept back feel so I'll be doing some grinding off the front of the pegs. Tehn I'll measure the drop.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hey ...BTW , I like your work shop !! it's real kool ...

Is it a converted polly tunnel ??

Yes I was likeing the shop too. I think it is more of a greenhouse the was converted.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Yes I was likeing the shop too. I think it is more of a greenhouse the was converted.
Funny thing ism it's been done for all of 2 weeks and I already want to expand it to 32' in length (currently only 24')

Quick Reply: How To: Fit Buell Ulysses Pegs (1" drop)