How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Cam Chain & Tensioner Replacement - HOW TO - by Naga Thai

Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cam Chain & Tensioner Replacement - HOW TO - by Naga Thai

This "HOW TO" with many pictures is only currently available on download from ....

http://tinyurl.com/bjaupex

===============================

THE "HOW TO" CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING TOPICS...

REPLACEMENT CAM CHAIN & TENSIONER – CBR1000F

This “How To” is prepared by NagaThai for all those people who, like myself, ride a CBR1000F, have limited mechanical ability but a great desire to learn. It is not intended for those who are already competent mechanics. There are many, many pictures (by intent) so you can see “How To” rather than be told. Sometimes there are pictures of the same process from different angles so if in doubt you can see more. This will provide you with confidence. Pictures also provide part numbers for parts you can purchase. This “How To” is the follow-on to “PREPARING THE REPLACEMENT CAM CHAIN – CBR1000F”.

< Notifications of errors, omissions & improvements gratefully accepted>

Writing in RED serve as WARNINGS.
Writing in BLUE serve as CAUTIONS.

BACKGROUND

The CBR1000F (1987-1999) has had perennial problems with a rattle developing in its cam chain and cam chain tensioner (CCT).

The 1987/8 versions were retrofitted with a kit and some later models had their CCT replaced under warranty.

My 1990 model that I purchased new had the CCT replaced under warranty at 8,000km and then I paid to have the CCT and cam chain replaced at 32,000km. Now at 105,000km I have put up with the cam chain rattle for the last 30,000km and now have done the replacement myself. It is interesting to note that there never seems to be any reported damage caused by the cam chain rattle – just its annoyance.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Primary acknowledgement is to Michael Parks who did the original “How To” and special thanks to CBR Forum members who provided invaluable advice; especially, HenryM, Shadow, Sprock and Sribop. My engineering guide, mentor and friend who assisted me in the project is Mr T of CMCCV – a real gentleman.

THE COMPLETE JOB

If you are going spend your money and time to do this job, you will want to do it properly and completely. For ease of understanding I have broken this into 9 STAGES;
  • Preparing The Replacement Cam Chain – CBR1000F (See separate “How To” at https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...r1000f-142814/)
  • Prepare Bike For CCT & Cam Chain Replacement
  • Replace the CCT
  • For 1987 Or 1988 Model Only – The Oil Guide
  • Replace the Cam Chain
  • Time the Cams/Valves
  • Adjust the Valve Clearances
  • Synchronize (balance) the Carbs
  • and whilst we are there… reset the Backlash adjustment
In my opinion this job was about 8 out of 10 on difficulty for persons who have limited mechanical ability but a great desire to learn. It is definitely a job that requires two people to complete (more than 2 hands required at some stages). This took about 12 hours to do the first time (because of my errors / incorrect advice and my naivety) …. But with this “HOW TO” knowledge I believe you could now complete the job in 6 hours. Don’t let that scare you away, I got through it - so can you. Of course there are several ways to get this job done; this is just how I did it.

CAM CHAIN AND TENSIONER REPLACEMENT

Parts you will need:

• CHAIN, CAM (150L or more) 14401-MM5-015 ( Or DID equivalent )
  • CHAIN, CAM joining link.
  • BRACKET, TENSIONER 14500-MZ1-000
  • TENSIONER ARM PIN,HP-14531-KV0-000 14531-KV0-000 – QTY 2
  • PIN (6MM), HP-90607-MM5-000 90607-MM5-000 - QTY 2
  • SLIPPER - HP-14510-MM5-640 14510-MM5-640
  • GUIDE B, CAM CHAIN 14630-MS2-610
  • GASKET, CYL HD CVR, HP-12391-MM5-000 12391-MM5-000
I also recommended
  • O-RING (7.5mmX1.5mm) 91302-HB3-004 - QTY 2
If you have a 1987 or 1988 and are unsure if it has had the CCT retrofit (CCT Kit 04102-MM5-010 ) then you will need these additional parts <See Appendix at end>
  • PLATE, 14542-MM5-000
  • PLATE, OIL GUIDE 14541-MM5-011
Cost
As a guide, as at November 2012, all parts were about US$320.00 total.

================================================== ==============

This "HOW TO" with many pictures is only currently available on download from ....

===============================

SOME SAMPLE THUMBNAILS OF THE PDF ARE AS FOLLOWS .....

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An impressive document Naga, already downloaded and saved to my workshop manual folder.

I'm sure it will prove invaluable when the time comes. A huge thanks for taking the time and patience to share your knowledge with us lesser skilled, ham fisted members.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ditto TK's comment!

Bloody brilliant Naga, and already downloaded and saved to the file marked "How To change cam chain and tensioner (next time Naga comes to Mount Pleasant)"

Makes it much easier!

Cheers, SB

Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

amazing that you have once again taken the time to write such detailed instructions for everyone Naga . how much extra time do you think it took to take the pics and make notes with dirty hands ?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks TK, SB & OzzyAL.
Glad you appreciate it and I'm happy to do it for the forum.

Given the perennial questions around this issue I'm sure it will clarify many points for many people. Additionally, being a comprehensive "HOW TO" it may reduce the search time over many posts for specific points; as you may notice when you get into it that I have included bookmarks (chapters) and HOTLINKS to other related "HOW TO's" within the pdf file.

Regards...

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-06-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Thanks

Naga,

Dude - EXCELLENT How to

Downloaded it ready for my change.

The red and blue text are very useful as well.

Thanks

Rich

Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Default Replacement cam chain & tensioner -- cbr1000f

REPLACEMENT CAM CHAIN & TENSIONER -- CBR1000F

A quick look .... watch on YouTube.....

Select YouTube, select HD, select full screen

HONDA CBR1000F - CAM CHAIN & TENSIONER REPLACEMENT - "HOW TO" - YouTube

If it appeals to you - This "HOW TO" with many pictures is currently available on download from ....

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-13-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Happy Junior Member

I'm considering purchasing a 1987 cbr1000f with 48,000 miles with extra oem tank and other goodies for $900. The seller says it runs a bit rich and I think that should be fixed by cleaning and sync'n the carbs. He also states he thinks the cam chain tensioner is going out. It makes a rattle when cold and then gets quieter when warm.

I read the CCT replacement threads and PDF by Naga....but I'm concerned. I'm somewhat mechanical, and have fixed up several bikes but never messed with timing. My question is.....is the CCT change as easy as it looks? I can see I would have to take out a cam and is it just as easy to put the cam back in the same position? I see I would need to keep tension on the chain chain with a rope so it doesn't come off the gear below correct? I have a 93 cbr1000f and bringing it back to life, and I think the 1987 is a good price, but the CCT has me a bit worried. Any thoughts?

Paul "Happy" Gilmore

Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by pgilmore
I'm considering purchasing a 1987 cbr1000f with 48,000 miles with extra oem tank and other goodies for $900. The seller says it runs a bit rich and I think that should be fixed by cleaning and sync'n the carbs. He also states he thinks the cam chain tensioner is going out. It makes a rattle when cold and then gets quieter when warm.

I read the CCT replacement threads and PDF by Naga....but I'm concerned. I'm somewhat mechanical, and have fixed up several bikes but never messed with timing. My question is.....is the CCT change as easy as it looks? I can see I would have to take out a cam and is it just as easy to put the cam back in the same position? I see I would need to keep tension on the chain chain with a rope so it doesn't come off the gear below correct? I have a 93 cbr1000f and bringing it back to life, and I think the 1987 is a good price, but the CCT has me a bit worried. Any thoughts?

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
Hi Paul,

To answer your questions...

My question is.....is the CCT change as easy as it looks?
The pdf is the most complete info I can make available. Just take note of
"Writing in RED serve as WARNINGS.
Writing in BLUE serve as CAUTIONS."

I can see I would have to take out a cam and is it just as easy to put the cam back in the same position?

Yes, but the position is critical (timming) as per the photos of How To.

I see I would need to keep tension on the chain chain with a rope so it doesn't come off the gear below correct?

The rope on the chain is only to ensure that it is not dropped into the motor. I had no real concern of the chain coming off the crank gear below.

Paul - I suggest slowly prepare for the job, take it slow, lots of rags to ensure nothing falls into the motor, have a copy of the pdf next to you and enjoy the experience. A great sense of satisfaction awaits!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Happy Junior Member

is it possible when the cam is removed and the tensioner is replaced...to just put the cam back in the same position......assuming it hasn't moved...and then button the motor up and still be ok?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Chain & Tensioner Replacement - HOW TO - by Naga Thai