CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   Quick frame slider install (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/quick-frame-slider-install-94306/)

Falqon 05-27-2009 08:48 AM

Quick frame slider install

I searched many forums but never found this in a write up.

I had these on in less than an hour taking my time. Very quick and plenty accurate with a lot less hassle than a laser or making random guess drills with a small drill bit.

My apologies for not taking more pictures, my iPhone has been going crazy lately and camera was in another state.

Simply threaded the frame slider bolt in a few threads and lined up the plastic over the correct holes and pushed in to imprint the foam, then cleaned up that area with a razer blade

Brushed paint on top of the same frame slider bolt, once again only threaded far enough to just make contact with the plastic.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/29/img0004hlx.jpg

Then it's simply a matter of drilling the pilot hole in the marked plastic, going ahead and double check that hole and then using the hole saw or dremel.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1571/img0007ntv.jpg

Quick and painless.

jk2000 05-28-2009 11:19 PM

That is a really smart idea.The only part I am concerned about is the actual drilling, I am guessing there will be some paint chip marks around the whole, do you think that will be very visible, and do you drill from the inside of the fairing or the outside? thanks in advance

PlayfulGod 05-28-2009 11:23 PM

thats actaully how I did mine.

Falqon 05-29-2009 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jk2000 (Post 790409)
I am guessing there will be some paint chip marks around the whole, do you think that will be very visible, and do you drill from the inside of the fairing or the outside? thanks in advance

I covered the painted side with masking tape and did drill the small hole from the foam side but the large hole can be drilled with a hole saw or dremel from the outside (taped) side.

I had no paint chip marks to be honest the hole saw melted as much as it did cut the plastic (and it's really soft plastic) . A quick razer blade swipe to get the melted plastic away and the hole is completely clean.

So no worries!

edit: Playful yeah I know it's not rocket science, but it's not exactly in a lot of forums either.

flyer_kaz 05-29-2009 09:10 AM

what year and model bike do you have..?

Have a wider-view shot of the whole set-up?

Kaz

Falqon 05-29-2009 02:57 PM

It's an F4.

I don't see why but what exactly do you want to see and I can try to take it?

PlayfulGod 05-29-2009 03:20 PM

I have Vortex sliders, but same used the same process. Think I have pix posted up too on here of when I did it.

bigtim4 07-10-2009 03:29 AM

You should def. cut from the finished side first with the cut area masked off to prevent the paint from flaking around your new hole.

Also I've noticed on here that for installation instructions, people are suggesting a 2 in. hole saw for the hole for Vortex sliders- however, people note that they dislike the gap around the slider and the fairing. For the standard length pucks, I used a 1 3/4" hole saw for the cut. I suggest this for every one. Fitment is very snug around the slider and if you do need a little wiggle room for a slightly off-center cut, you can simply take a 1/4" 120 grit sanding drum on a Dremel and run it around the hole a dozen times or so. This will grind just enough of the material away yet retain the clean cut, snug fit of that size hole saw.

If you do the play-dough/silly putty method well enough and with enough care- the 1 3/4" hole will look perfect in relationship to the puck. Just my 2 cents.

mr4ward 10-26-2009 08:27 PM

I didnt remove fairings

1 Attachment(s)
I just removed allen bolt right next to where the slider will go ... drilled the smallest hole lined it up and cut with one of those wood hole cutters that best fit the slider ...check out the pic

OH the bike is cleaner now .... The first 2 things I did when I bought it was sliders and exhaust

mr4ward 10-26-2009 08:39 PM

Mine went fine

I used one of those saws for cutting holes in wood ... I just took the smallest drill bit out and drilled a test hole... I didnt even remove the whole fairing. Just the bolt that is close to where the frame slider will go ... pulled it out a little bit and made a small drill hole I then lined it up to the bolt and that was it ... made sure it lined up then picked the hole cutter that was the same size as the slider and that was it ..you might have to make 2 small holes but when you cut the fairing out the hole will be removed with the hole for the slider.....OH dont use a cordless drill .. You dont want to run out of power when drilling ...mine lined up perfect and its a perfect fit with a perfect round hole ... you remove the bolt when the hole is drilled.... Measure Twice ...cut once