CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   Polish Your Frame (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/polish-your-frame-108480/)

your_genral01 04-07-2010 04:11 AM

Polish Your Frame

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, im a new member and this has probably been posted before by someone but i would like to make a contributuin to the forum so here goes...

You will need. - Compressor and Orbital sander or hands, 2000-1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper, 800-600-240 grit sandpaper, bucket, water, soft rags, dish washing liquid, metal polish

Step 1. - Please before you even think about undertaking this task understand it is bloody hard work and takes allot ALLOT of time and persistence.... now, if you still want to have a go here are some short,to the point instructions.

Step 2. - first of all remove any parts i.e fuel tank that may get accidentaly scratched in the process.

Step 3. - either by hand or with the orbital sander begin with something around the 240grit sandpaper and begin sanding in smooth straight lines being careful not to concentrate on edges or rounded sections of your frame. note; newer bikes with a flater finish to the alloy may not need such a coarse grit and please DO NOT USE BELOW 240 GRIT!!! this will scratch and damage your frame!

Step 4. - Now that the initial rough surface is gone put the orbital sander aside and use the good old hands, gradualy use finer and finer sand paper i used 240, 600, 800,

Step 5. - Now put a little bit of dish washing liquid in some water and use 1000 grit wet and dry to start the final polishing stage, finish with 2000 grit wet and dry and really spend some time with this remember its the final stage!!!

Step 6. - Clean away any water or dust with a rag and using the metal polish rub it onto the polished area with your finger tips, using your fingers will get it into the fine little grooves.

Step 7. - Leave the polish for a minute then start polishing off with a clean very soft rag, you will need several and make sure they are very very clean, any bits of grit or dirt will scratch your frame then your back to step 5!

Step 8. - If you want to it can now be clear coated to protect the finish, personaly its not something i have done as its allot easier to re-polish a small scratch from the frame than it is to repair a chip in the clear coat.

Step 9. - Show off! :icon_razz:

Please note- I am in no way a pro at this and dont want to be blamed for any stuff ups, this is simply how i did it and it worked for me, goodluck!

chris:icon_beerchug:

deadgamesevil 04-15-2010 08:31 PM

looks good and you used a whole lot less grades of sandpaper than I did.What polish did you use?

your_genral01 04-16-2010 04:40 AM

yeah i sped the process up a little bit, just means a bit more rubbing on the finer grades. i used autosol... $12 aussie a tube and works well

deadgamesevil 04-16-2010 01:14 PM

thanks heard about that but my local stores do not carry

your_genral01 04-16-2010 05:05 PM

no worries mate, just look for something with a mild gritty feel... kinda like toothpaste, thats the best because it removes anything stuck in the tiny scratches