How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

**NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

Blue Fox
Followed your link for the updated newer style install.... hate to say this as I've been following you on this subject since I decided to buy an RR in April. Did you notice the newer super slim ballast model? DOH! looks like they'll both fit in the front lower fairing stay....

Sorry if this is the wrong place to reply.... First post

Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. I've seen the DDM kits that are available with those new "super mini" ballasts. I think they're going for about $130 bucks. They are small ballasts (both would easily fit on that "shelf") with separate igniters. To be honest, I would have purchased those instead, but I was too late in my finding them. This helps out those people wanting a damn good kit for under $100 shipped.

Not to mention, the way I installed mine, you can't see them, and they're not in the way, so it works out the same.

Thanks for the info regardless.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Nice write up, one question. You say high beam ballast and low beam ballast, are the ballasts different? The ballast are the same right, the high beam light is just aimed higher right?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 AM

Wolf

Nice work you took the words right out of my mouth..... I'm guessing yes because Blue Fox is always stressing the point to just order a car set, over a motorcycle set, because the car set comes with both bulbs.

Blue Fox?? Correct

Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Has anyone used these slim balasts?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:43 PM

These will work for 07??

Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Wolf

Nice write up, one question. You say high beam ballast and low beam ballast, are the ballasts different? The ballast are the same right, the high beam light is just aimed higher right?

ORIGINAL: Icyalkn

Wolf

Nice work you took the words right out of my mouth..... I'm guessing yes because Blue Fox is always stressing the point to just order a car set, over a motorcycle set, because the car set comes with both bulbs.

Blue Fox?? Correct
Yep. Both ballasts/bulbs are the same............just one of them is for the high beam, and the other one for the low beam. And yes, the car kit is the same as the motorcycle kit, but you get 2 bulbs and ballasts with the car kit versus the motorcycle kit, which only comes with 1 of each.

Let me know if there is anything else you guys need.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: ryman546

These will work for 07??
Yep. My roommate (Hamster) has a White 07 600RR (it's in one of the pictures), and he ordered the same kit I did at the same time, and I installed it at the same time. The only problem I'm having with his kit is the lack of space up front to mount the ballasts. They way I have them installed now, it's bulging one of the fairings out, and it doesn't look too good. As soon as I get some time to re-do his installation, I'll post a write up for the 2007 models.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Ok ok....I'm retarded yes. But would the "ultra slim* kit or whatever help in that situation?
Also are you saying that with the motorcycle kit u would have to order 2 kits vs the one automotive kit?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: ryman546

Ok ok....I'm retarded yes. But would the "ultra slim* kit or whatever help in that situation?
Also are you saying that with the motorcycle kit u would have to order 2 kits vs the one automotive kit?
In a 2007 model 600RR, I would say try the DDM kits http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_kit_sale.html which make those really small, slim ballasts. I've never used those before, so I have no idea as to their quality, brightness, ease of install, etc. But for $130 bucks a kit, it's not a bad price (granted, you do have to pay shipping on those though.)

And yes, the car kit comes with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and 2 wiring harnesses. The motorcycle kit would only come with 1 bulb, 1 ballast, and 1 wiring harness. Which means that if you ordered the motorcycle kit (which is just 1 car kit split in half), you would have to order 2 of those, which would end up costing you more than the car kit. This is for that eBay store ONLY.

As for that DDM link I provided, that takes you straight to the mini-ballast kit that comes with 2 bulbs/ballasts.

Quick Reply: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07