How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Magnetic Drain Plug/Light Changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This mod will actually yield good results.

I suggest some of you non-believers go out at night and find some lights with the metal circles on the ground. Sit at the turning lane and make sure no cars are behind you. See how long you stay there.

Then rev the engine or put the kickstand down ... the light will change. The magnet will set off the magnetic strips on the ground thus causing the light to change. I might be doing this. I dont like reving or putting my bike in neutral to put the kickstand down to change the light.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM

I´m waiting for a magnetic plug but I´m glad I don´t have that kind of traffic lights here in Portugal.
We use a kind of motion sensor cameras to regulate night traffic.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM

so anyone know where i can get one of these magnets for cheap? i've seen them online...but they all go for like $7 plus... not including shipping.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex25
so anyone know where i can get one of these magnets for cheap? i've seen them online...but they all go for like $7 plus... not including shipping.
If you want to use it to trip inductive loop sensor lights (and not for the drain plug) you can get a much larger one, free. Just take one out of a old computer hard drive you or someone you know may have lying around that you were going to throw away anyway. I've used ones out of old drives for past 8 years.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kewl Breeze
If you want to use it to trip inductive loop sensor lights (and not for the drain plug) you can get a much larger one, free. Just take one out of a old computer hard drive you or someone you know may have lying around that you were going to throw away anyway. I've used ones out of old drives for past 8 years.
o00 thanks a lot man! i actually know of a few hard drives that i could go take apart haha ... do all hdd's have these magnets in them? i mean magnets aren't supposed to be good for electricals

Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 PM

nvrmind.... i googled it...as i probably shud have before asking... lol but here it is for all those who are wondering the same thing i was =D

http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Originally Posted by Slick 6
I´m waiting for a magnetic plug but I´m glad I don´t have that kind of traffic lights here in Portugal.
We use a kind of motion sensor cameras to regulate night traffic.
Take a good strong magnet and stroke one side with the postive and then the other with the negative will transfer the charge of the magnet. Ok not transfer but rearragnes the molules so they become magnatized. Simple and cheap becuase you all ready have the drain plug.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Question

I do not know who came up with this idea, A sucker is born every minute. This is the biggest gimmick money maker I have seen. They do not work, the way you want them to. I have drove up onto the light trippers in a loaded semi at 2am, 3am, 4am and no one in sight. I have had to wait 5 to 7 minutes on the lights to change, also. So putting a little tiny magnet on the bottem of your bike that will not pick up a paper clip as you drive over it, you think it is going to trip a light sensor in the ground. Sorry to bust yals bubbles.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I have noticed if I move my bike over the left edge of the circle (could be right edge for that matter) so that I am overlapping the edge with my two wheels, I have no problems. But then again, most of our lights have motion sensors on them too.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
I do not know who came up with this idea, A sucker is born every minute. This is the biggest gimmick money maker I have seen. They do not work, the way you want them to. I have drove up onto the light trippers in a loaded semi at 2am, 3am, 4am and no one in sight. I have had to wait 5 to 7 minutes on the lights to change, also. So putting a little tiny magnet on the bottem of your bike that will not pick up a paper clip as you drive over it, you think it is going to trip a light sensor in the ground. Sorry to bust yals bubbles.
Well I hate to burst your bubble but lots of people on here have had success with it. The fact is that a lot of these light are triggered by the change in the magnetic field and the combo of being in the right spot, using your kickstand, and having one of these magnets can be enough to trigger a light you would have had to otherwise avoid or wait for a car to trigger.

These are not the only kinds of lights, and its totally possible that the lights you're talking about were not the type that's being talked about but a timed light.

If a semi didn't trigger the light there is obviously another factor (faulty trigger or not a magnetic sensor most likely) that was causing your problem, as these sensors work very well for cars with much less metallic mass than a semi.

On top of that, this mod also can serve the purpose of collecting metal flake that may be running through your engine and warn you of a potential engine issue that you otherwise wouldn't have found until the engine failed.

(A skeptic is also born every minute)

Anyway, the mod costs all of like $8. You're not exactly going to break the bank on this one.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Drain Plug/Light Changer