CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   How to: up the reliability of your Regulator Rectifier (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-up-reliability-your-regulator-rectifier-133231/)

adiopunki7 12-29-2011 02:33 PM

How to: up the reliability of your Regulator Rectifier

2 Attachment(s)
This was a pretty simple mod I decided to do in the midst of rebuilding my bike. I know most regulator rectifiers fail because of heat. So I had some leftover silicone paste thats normally used on computer cpus for better cooling and applied that to the back side of the r/r (bought at any best buy or radioshack). The r/r is bolted to an aluminum plate that is bolted to the frame. All sit flush together. The point of the silicone paste is to promote the travel of heat from the r/r to the rest of the bike frame therefore keeping the r/r cooler. Not sure how much it will help but hey its easy and cheap and makes sense (at least to me). Sounds like good insurance to me.

I applied the silicone to the areas marked in red.
Attachment 42376

The r/r sits flush with the aluminum plates like so...
Attachment 42377

regener8ed 12-29-2011 03:25 PM

+2¢:
i'd grind down to the bare metal on the r/r before sandwiching it on to the aluma plate.

MadHattr059 12-30-2011 06:08 PM

The r/r you have, has the finned heat-sink, so it's probably also a mosfet-type rectifier.
Those shouldn't give you any trouble. The problem ones had no heat-sink (other than
the frame mount) and were the older switching type electronics. You'll probably not
have any issues with the one you showed in the pictures.

Ern

adiopunki7 12-30-2011 06:13 PM

regenerated thats a good idea.

maddhattr - i actually only did this write up because i had to replace my r/r because it fails after it heats up. so i got the one off my parts bike and did this extra measure to try to prevent the problem again. either way i see it as an insurance. nothing wrong with making something better right?

MadHattr059 12-30-2011 06:17 PM

Absolutely not! That's what these forums are all about. Information exchange and tweaking our little beasties.

Thanks for sharing, Ern

Project96 12-30-2011 08:15 PM

Have you checked the output of the stator as well as checked it for resistance & shorts to ground? Seen people replace RRs when it wasn't actually the problem. As MadHattr059 said, the RR is cooled by the fins. Any extra assurance is a good idea though.

adiopunki7 12-30-2011 08:17 PM

Stators checking good. New battery bout a year ago.

Project96 12-30-2011 08:33 PM

Just thought I would throw that out there. Reg/Rec has 12 checks & the stator has 9.

96shox 01-08-2012 07:58 PM

I wonder if wiring in a thin 12v (for computer use) fan would do any good. Looks like that area is deprived of air flow.

George Catalano 04-02-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 96shox (Post 1123450)
I wonder if wiring in a thin 12v (for computer use) fan would do any good. Looks like that area is deprived of air flow.

That's an amazing idea. I'm on that 1. Ill post pics as soon as the rectifier comes in. I have 2 of those fans and i never knew what I was gonna use em for.
I'm thinking right to the battery with a switch. Any ideas.