CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   How To: Spark Plug Removal (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-spark-plug-removal-106715/)

zSilver_Fox 03-04-2010 12:27 AM

How To: Spark Plug Removal

After fouling the plugs on my bike today, I had to endure the process of figuring out how to get to them and remove them for cleaning. Hopefully this little guide will help people avoid some of the frustrations I had. I went through the top, removing the seat, tank, and airbox. I'm not sure how much other models will differ, but this worked for my '00 CBR600F4.

Tools Needed:
12mm wrench/socket
10mm wrench/socket
8mm wrench/socket
Phillips Head Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver
Spark Plug Removal Tool (I used the one that came with the bike)
Adjustable Wrench

Remove your seat. This should expose a small bracket with two bolts by the tank. Use your 12mm wrench/socket to loosen the bolts on the bracket, they should easily come out with your hand after being loosened. Set the bolts and bracket aside.

Near the instrument panel on your bike, there should be two 8mm bolts. Again, loosen and remove these and set aside. Next, use the Phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screws on the plastic air channel guards. Go ahead and remove these, they should pop out after the screws are loosened.

Next, tilt the tank back to expose the underneath of it. Turn the fuel petcock lever so it's parallel to the tank, it should match up with the "OFF" stamped on the petcock. Then, simply remove the hoses and two wires from the tank. Set the tank aside.

This will expose the airbox. Use the Phillips head screwdriver to loosen the four clamps on the carburetors, and the airbox should lift up slightly. Disconnect all the hoses and use the wrench to pop out the connector holding the wires to the side of the airbox. Set the airbox aside.

Your spark plug wires should be exposed. Take the flat head screwdriver, and insert it into the top of one of the white clips. There's a small tab in there that you'll need to lever upwards, and the clips should push right off. Then, using either your fingers or the wrench, lift the boot up off of the plug. I'm not sure about other models, but my bike had a bar connecting the sides of the frame. I had to lift the boots out on the side of the bar facing the front of the bike.

Now finally, place the spark plug removal tool firmly down into the plug well, and using the 10mm wrench/socket, loosen the plugs. After they're loose, you should be able to finger loosen them the rest of the way. There's a small gasket in the removal tool that will grip the top of the plug, thereby preventing problems if you properly seat it.

If you're replacing the plugs, gap them to the bike specifications (should be found on the decal underneath your seat), insert them into the plug removal tool, and then hand tighten them. After they're hand tightened, use your 10mm wrench to tighten them 1/8th-1/4 of a turn. This should be all they need, unless otherwise specified on the plug box. If you're cleaning them or putting the old plugs back in, new crush washers don't hurt a bit.

After the plug's back in and tightened properly, slide the boot back down, being sure to press down firmly until you hear it snap on, and put the clip back on. Repeat the process for the other three plugs and you'll be set.

After the job's done, the rest is all in reverse. Place the airbox back on, attaching the hoses and ensuring that the boots go all the way down onto the carburetor intakes (it may take a couple of tries to get it right), reattach the gas tank hoses and wires, turn your fuel petcock back to where it was before, clamp the tank back down with the bolts (don't forget the bracket like I did *blush*), and reattach the plastics.

I hope this helps someone out in the future. Sorry if there's another guide on here that I missed. And also I apologize about the lack of pics, digital camera was broken today.

Mahoney88 03-06-2010 09:15 AM

Nothing like fouling up plugs.. I just used a wrench and socket to losin the plugs up and then take the wrench off and use pliers for you don't get the wrench pressed against that dang support bar. and twist till plug treads are all the way out and then just pull the plug out.. (i really need to the tool that came with the bike.. That might make it a lot faster and easier than my removal process lol.)

MOOK1000RR 03-19-2010 03:26 PM

if u are taking the time to get to your plugs and take them out becasue they are fouled, dont clean them and put the same old plugs back in...Put NEW plugs in!

Stien514 09-19-2010 12:27 PM

If you don't have the tool for spark plug removal there is an alternative. Use a socket to get the plug fairly loose then remove the socket and insert a piece of 3/8" rubber hose (I think is the size) down the hole sliding it over the end of the plug ceramic end. Then finish loosing the plug by twisting the hose and plug will remain captured in the hose for removal. The hose obviously needs to be a straight piece.
Installing plugs can be done in the same manor by just reversing the process.

HydroPrelude85 10-25-2010 08:41 PM

i am getting ready to do this service on my bike ill post some pics of the different steps to help out

bradderz 11-18-2010 06:32 PM

nightmare

this is a nightmare job. i ended up putting putty in the end of my cocket so the plugs would stick. tried the rubber hose but that bloody frame gets in the way.

Sprock 11-18-2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bradderz (Post 989145)
i ended up putting putty in the end of my cocket so the plugs would stick

you put what - where ? :D

cbr_1976 11-29-2010 11:12 AM

Great write up. Worked flawlessly. Thank goodness for the stock spark plug removal tool.

kinglee86 01-09-2011 01:12 PM

hey i changed mines the other day and 1 and 2 dont snap back in like 3 and 4/////

Dragondima 01-11-2011 10:40 AM

It would be great if you updated, with images. Otherwise, great write up!