How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To Rebuild / Clean / Overhaul Your Calipers With Fresh Seals *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey slick:

You removed the brake pads before you put the cardboard in there to loosen the pistons, yeah? Any cleaning that needs to get done on the pads, or just leave them alone and plug em back in when the caliper is done? Which part number was for the dust seals you recommend replacing?

I think I'm taking my brakes off today and just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by vegas_rebel; 05-15-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
Hey slick:

You removed the brake pads before you put the cardboard in there to loosen the pistons, yeah? Any cleaning that needs to get done on the pads, or just leave them alone and plug em back in when the caliper is done? Which part number was for the dust seals you recommend replacing?

I think I'm taking my brakes off today and just wanted to make sure.
Yes, you remove the pads, insert the carboard and then pump the brakes until the pistons bite on the card.
You can use brake cleaner for the pads. It's always good to remove the dust on the suface of the pads.

I've putted the part # on the original post but now I'm not sure which one refers to the dust seals or the oil seals.

Wait a bit on the part#...

Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Can't acess ronayers at the moment. You can try it. Go to the f4i parts fiche.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Sounds good, thank you. I checked bikebandit, but it didn't have the seals differentiated. I'll check ronayers tonight or tomorrow.

A small point, probably obvious to anyone who understands how brakes work: If you're going to use the cardboard trick on both front brakes, don't take either of the banjo bolts off until the cardboard is inserted and the pistons are clamped down.

I'm retarded, and thus have one caliper clamped on cardboard (although I think one of the pistons might be stuck) and one caliper with the pistons still inset. With some luck, it won't be too much of a pita

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Smile

Awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do it; very helpful

Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Default honda cbr600 caliper

Hey i have a question on the topic. when ever you push the bike forward and back you can hear like the breaks are grinding is it the calipers that are dirty and now moving forward and back, because when you ride it still does the grind noise. checking the breaks are good so is it the calipers sticking.. so taking apart can they be cleaned and reused.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM

About to do a rebuild on my 96 900rr. You showed me some good tricks for my upcoming task. Thank you for this post.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM

This may be a stupid question but I have to ask since I'm having a problem... I clean my calipers today an I went by your thread since I'd never done it before and now my front brakes wont grab at all.... Is there something that I might have missed.... I have a 08 cbr 600rr.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 AM

great write up, hopefully I wont need it anytime soon but great to know it's available

Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by haber120
This may be a stupid question but I have to ask since I'm having a problem... I clean my calipers today an I went by your thread since I'd never done it before and now my front brakes wont grab at all.... Is there something that I might have missed.... I have a 08 cbr 600rr.
Did you bleed the system properly and get ALL of the air out?

Quick Reply: How To Rebuild / Clean / Overhaul Your Calipers With Fresh Seals *PICS*