How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to paint my front fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great...you did a nice job....

I have a question...Ive been painting for several years now in my work with choppers...Im used to using some pretty high end paints, but always on metal of fiberglass...never plastic...is there anything I need to add to the paint to use it on plastic? Im going to be repainting mine soon..is there anything I can use to get the paint off of my plastics and start from bare plastic? its yellow now and I want to go back to the stock colors.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to use paint that is formulated for plastic as it is flexible and regular paint will eventually crack.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks very nice! good job!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swisherred
looks great...you did a nice job....

I have a question...Ive been painting for several years now in my work with choppers...Im used to using some pretty high end paints, but always on metal of fiberglass...never plastic...is there anything I need to add to the paint to use it on plastic? Im going to be repainting mine soon..is there anything I can use to get the paint off of my plastics and start from bare plastic? its yellow now and I want to go back to the stock colors.

there is a product out there called bumper stripper that will pull the paint off a plastic surface, and as far as an additive to the paint, there is a special plastics adhesion promoter that will help it stick better, but you will only need to put in a flex additive it it is on something like a car bumper cover, bike parts are a more rigid plastic and dont really flex so you can use the same materials you would use on metal and fiberglass. the only thing that changes is the adhesion promoter that goes on before you sealer and base