How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to install hotbodies flushmounts/remove fairings

Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Default How to install hotbodies flushmounts/remove fairings

I have a 09 600rr and i just got my hotbodies flushmounts today. So i thought i would help some people out by making a walkthrough.

Items needed for install
10mm socket
8mm socket
Wire strippers or a blade
Electrical tape
Heat shrink wrap(5 bucks at the auto store) buy a small diameter one so you can shrink each individual wire and a larger one to wrap them together if you want.
A hair dryer or something that blows hot air.

First you need to remove the fairings. I find it easiest to remove both because just taking the top on off is very difficult to put back on later. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE PIECE THAT INTERLOCKS WITH THE TANK COVER. THE PAINT ISNT VERY STURDY AND WILL CHIP IF IT BENDS JUST THE SLIGHTEST TO MUCH. HERE IS MY WARNING!!! IT MAY MAKE YOU NAUSEOUS! IT MADE ME FEEL WOOZY!(jk)
Name:  0515001737.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  39.2 KB

Once you have the bolts off you have to slowly remove them. Work your way from the bottom up. Once the bottom is loose you have to wiggle the area that connects with the tank. It will feel like its breaking but it wont. Just be patient and careful.

Name:  motobolt.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  nose.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.5 KB
Once you have the fairing off use a 10mm socket to remove the stock blinker. You will also want to pull the wires out with it.

With the blinker and wire out cut the wire so that you have a good amount of wire left over. You will need the end that plugs in.
Name:  0515001707.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  141.6 KB

Cut back some of the black sheath that covers the wires. You should have three wires. The right side of the bike has blue and green. The left side has orange and black. You will only need 2 wires to hook up your new blinker.
Blue=Live
Green=Ground
Blue with white strip= Running light.
Name:  0515001708.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  52.2 KB

I didnt want my running light so i cut the running light wire. This is what i ended up with.
Name:  0515001709.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  57.4 KB

Run your new blinker into the fairing and bolt it in with the 8mm socket. (i used 2 spacers because the nuts it came with werent very wide.)

Cut a small piece of heat shrink wrap and place it over the wires. Twist the red wire with the blue wire and the green wire with the black wire. (For the left side of the bike twist the red with orange and the black with green.)
Name:  0515001719.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  28.1 KB

Twist some electric tape over each individual connection. I ended up taping them together after just to clean it up a bit.
Name:  0515001725a.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Use whatever hot air blowing device you may have and shrink that shrink wrap!! (my dog chloe wanted to be close to me due to a thunderstorm taking place)
Name:  0515001728.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  35.6 KB

With the heat wrap tightened around your connection it will be much firmer than just twisting and wrapping with tape.

Run the wire through the little holes it is meant to and then go plug it in and make sure it works. If it does(which it should if you follow my walkthrough) reverse the fairing removal instructions to place the fairings back on.

Enjoy
Name:  0515001746.jpg
Size:  68.4 KB

Last edited by CBRfenatic93; 06-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM

good writeup man! I would recommend shrink wrap over the individual wires for overkill(i like overkill. :-p)
Take a look at my two to three wire conversion too, hot bodies signals work great for that!
Keep up the good work, sick bike by the way

Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator View Post
good writeup man! I would recommend shrink wrap over the individual wires for overkill(i like overkill. :-p)
Take a look at my two to three wire conversion too, hot bodies signals work great for that!
Keep up the good work, sick bike by the way
Thank you. That was my first how to. I always mean to do one when i work on my bike but always forget until im half way into it.

I meant to do each wire itself but the wrap i bought was to large and wouldnt shrink enough. I would have gone back but i had a friend drive me to the store to buy the wrap and he had already left. Ima go edit it to say buy a small wrap. lol

Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM

I was thinking about getting these flush mounts for my 09, but they dont look like they would be visible enough...to say someone directly in front of you???? They look a little recessed, like they would only be visible from side. Are they still visible in daylight while looking straight on at the bike???

Old 09-13-2010, 01:15 AM

I actually just recently installed these on my 09 600rr and during the day you can not see them from head on but at night you can if you're paying attention. But I got them for the slick look they gave the bike. They look awesome when you're done. Hope this helps

Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
I was thinking about getting these flush mounts for my 09, but they dont look like they would be visible enough...to say someone directly in front of you???? They look a little recessed, like they would only be visible from side. Are they still visible in daylight while looking straight on at the bike???
I set my bike about 6 car lenghts away from me and was able to see them blinking at around 4pm. But since my bike is white it may be a bit more reflective then say a black bike.

None the less they look clean and i never trust a cage to see my blinker.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Will this guide work for a 2005 CBR 600 RR?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mistah View Post
Will this guide work for a 2005 CBR 600 RR?
It should. Im not familar with the wiring on the 05's but you can use this as a base.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM

i recommend soldering your wire connections before heat shrink wrapping them. otherwise you run the risk of the connection coming apart eventually. good write-up though!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM

I am sure if you get hot bodies the process will be pretty much the same for your 05'