How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: F3 HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Kit you would need for the F3 if ordered online right now

Single Hi/Low HID Kit

When you went into the store, what did you tell them you needed?

Also keep in mind I did this install 2 years ago, DDM might not carry the exact same kit I ordered and used for my write up. For instance they no longer carry the kit I bought and installed on a car I had a year ago.

Last edited by BPWilson_F3; 11-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM

Does any of the parts from the kit look like this ^^^^^

Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Yeah it was similar but not exactly the same. I managed to install it though. I couldn't get the DCU mounted up by the fuse box, it's ziptied along the frame near the engine (but not on it).

I had to ground it on a random part of the frame since it couldn't reach to the batter AND be able to hook up to the ballast.

This guide did help a lot though, thanks!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM

hey,
So i did this mod quite a while ago. I also installed the 10 sec delay relay to keep the light from kicking on until after the bike is running..i dont know if its always been like this (havnt used the high beams much) bu when switching from the high beam to low beam, the light turns off completely and has to go through the 10 second wait before the low beam kicks back on..

Any ideas as to why its doing this? its kinda dangerous..lol. its either i cant see well because i dont put the high beam on, or i cant see at all when switching back from high beams..its gotta be something stupid..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Will.Bass
hey,
So i did this mod quite a while ago. I also installed the 10 sec delay relay to keep the light from kicking on until after the bike is running..i dont know if its always been like this (havnt used the high beams much) bu when switching from the high beam to low beam, the light turns off completely and has to go through the 10 second wait before the low beam kicks back on..

Any ideas as to why its doing this? its kinda dangerous..lol. its either i cant see well because i dont put the high beam on, or i cant see at all when switching back from high beams..its gotta be something stupid..
The F3's headlights run on two separate power wires. When you switch from low to high, whats happening is the power to the low beam is turned off and switched to the high beam. So when you switch from hi back to low, your triggering the relay again. Try moving it up stream from the headlight switch. Try and trace the headlight wiring diagram from the headlight back should be something like this;

HB____
LB____>[HL switch]________[Fuse]________+[Batt.]

Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 AM

i actually didnt do any wiring for the relay.. i got a harness from kryptonbulbs. This is all it is..

Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Will.Bass
i actually didnt do any wiring for the relay.. i got a harness from kryptonbulbs. This is all it is..
Yeah, from the looks of it i'd say the relay just delays the power to the ballast. I'm assuming theres a part that plugs into the factory bulb harness, then to the relay, then the relay to the ballast.

So it only delays when switching back to low from high, and not from low to high?

Is there a necessary reason for the delay?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM

yea, only from high to low is when its cutting out..

i put it in to keep the light from coming on until after the bike was started

Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Why do you need it to do that?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 PM

its protects the bulb and ballast, gives it greater longevity due to less cycles. rather than on off on for a single start (which realistically, how many cold starts do f3's stay running the frist start..), its just....on

its not needed, but i added it because i wanted it and wanted the bulb and ballast to last as long as possible

Last edited by Will.Bass; 08-17-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: How To: F3 HID Install