How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Clean your carbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carb bank is a major pita to pull them off. I used a crowbar and a couple of pieces of wood to very carefully leverage them off. Getting them back on is near equally difficult.

In the bowls there are three protusions into the fuel. The main and pilot jets, and this third piece that I couldn't remove that had a small hole in the bottom of it. Not sure what its for, maybe the enricher circuit. Clean everything best you can and just be slow and methodical.

After running some in-the-tank carb cleaner the bike seemed to idle a little better on its own. There is still a bad stumble before the bike fully warms up that if I crank the throttle from idle the bike will stall. I haven't put the body work back on yet because I want to see how it gets in some warmer weather and after I run it a few more times. If this doesn't clear up I'll have to take it apart again.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Default What do the insulator band screws look like

The write up is nice and I've been able to basically get to where I'm looking at the carbs, all of the clamps and hoses disconnected or loosened, however I am unable to find these band screws that you are supposed to access through the hole in the side of the frame?

Anyone have a pic of the band/screws? I have a long screwdriver that is more than capable of reaching but don't know what Im looking for.

Help is much appreciated. I wanna ride so bad

Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
****HOW TO CLEAN THE IDLE JET** Bike not idling, only idles with choke on, LOW RPM sucks, with no power at low RPM

On the picture above, looking down into the float bowl. Those 3 little brass things, 2 of which have slots for a screwdriver, take a very well matched screw driver to the little one, apply some downward pressure, they are in there a little tight. Take it out and try to look through it. you should see a hole a little bigger than a fishing line, if it is really small, or you cant see through, it needs to be cleaned. Take some carb cleaner, and that jet, and soak it in a pool of cleaner for about 15 mins. Take it out of the cleaner, and get some fishing line, push it through the jet, through that tiny hole, then ones its all the way through spin it on the line to get all the junk loose. Take the line out and put the jet back into the cleaner. swirl it around, take it out and wipe it down, apply more cleaner. re-install, pushing down on the screwdriver to not strip it. Then just reassemble, and your good to go.

If your bike is only not running well on idle, and low rpms, you only have to clean this!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19490/A1D901927F3B434CA2AFD5CD3BF2C620.jpg[/IMG]
OK.My bike is a CBR1000f from1991. I've cleaned the main jet, but the idle jet is a problem. It has very small holes down the sides, and I've cleaned them out with a thin bit of wire. Should I be able to do the same lengthwise? Should I be able to see light by looking in one end? With two I've done so far, I can't work anything through there.

Craig

Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off NEVER clean jets with wire !
Use a piece of nylon or you will scratch the inside of the jets.
I think you're referring to the "emulsion tubes" which have jet holes down the sides, and no you can't look straight through them and see light. The fuel is pushed in through the small spray holes which if blocked will cause lumpy idling and other issues.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Its cake wonder why Honda wants to charge me $600 bucks for this job do it myself

Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM

I find it easy to take the carbs off if you wrap your hands around the float bowls and pull directly up. Any other way, the carbs stay stuck. Buy a Motion pro tuner from ebay it pays itself off in the first use!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM

I bought a big crowbar to pry off the carbs once I had the 4 clamps loosened. They are on there very snug. Rub some pb blaster or wd-40 on the inner lips of the rubber isolators before you try putting the carbs back on the engine. It helps get them back on.

I took these two pics to help show how to access and loosen the 4 band clamps.

Attached Thumbnails  How To: Clean your carbs-img_20130323_144608_019.jpg    How To: Clean your carbs-img_20130323_144642_791.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by madmaxnj
In the bowls there are three protusions into the fuel. The main and pilot jets, and this third piece that I couldn't remove that had a small hole in the bottom
I've seen several mentions of the "3 protrusions" or "3 little brass things", but there seems to be some confusion on what they are. The Service Manual labels the middle one as the Main Jet (slotted) & Needle Jet Holder (hex), and the right one as the Slow Jet (slotted).

Is the Slow Jet the same as the Idle Jet or the Pilot Jet mentioned in this thread (I've seen it mentioned both ways)? The Service Manual labels a Pilot Screw located BELOW the 3 protrusions. Is this the same as the Pilot Jet? If so, it sounds as though a special tool is required to remove this, and it's important to count the number of turns until it seats lightly to use as reference for reinstallation.

It sounds as though the Pilot Jet is the most important one to be cleaned. When I cleaned my carbs, I didn't remove the Pilot Screw because I only saw the 3 protrusions mentioned here. Now that I've looked at the Service Manual, I'm thinking that maybe I missed a critical step.

Edit: I was sent a great link by another member here that answers a few of my questions... figured I'd pass it along...

http://www.weeksmotorcycle.com/carb-jets.html

Last edited by dja1980; 05-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM

As for the actual cleaning and what to use...
I have been reading about the use of lemon juice to clean the carb bodies, float bowls and brass. It is said in many if the places I found commentary that it is works very well if done carefully. The general method is to put the parts into a pot of a diluted solution of boiling lemon juice and water for some time and then to rinse with clear cold water. It was mentioned that some polishing to exterior was done for appearances sake.
I have not used this method but may do so on the next set needed cleaning.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM

thanks for this write-up my bike has now started!

Quick Reply: How To: Clean your carbs