How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Clean your carbs

Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: Clean your carbs

Dam i just cleaned my carbs last night.I should of done a better and more detailed "How to" clean the carbs..

Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Det99cbrf4
Whats the bigger one with a screw hole also, next to it?
Can someone shed some more light regarding the quote above? If you start counting from left to right, the 2nd brass thing and the 3rd brass thing seem to have screwdriver grooves. According to Redzintimidator, the 3rd Brass thing is the idle jet. What is the 2nd Brass thing?
Can / should that one be removed and clean as well?
Do any pieces pring out / tricky to put that 2nd brass thing back in?

Thanks for the info. My 2000 F4 seems to be running crappy at idle. It might start but it sounds like its about to die, even with the choke on. When the choke is off it dies. With the choke on, you can get it moving and if you're lucky it wont shut off on you until you stop. I followed the how-to, but skipped out on cleaning the idle jet mentioned. I will be taking the carbs apart once again to clean them out and this time I will clean the idle jet as stated.
Since I will be going through the trouble again, I want to know what that 2nd brass thing is and if it can be removed and cleaned.

Thanks once again.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 AM

i just cleaned mine yesterday and it was a lot easier than i thought

i didnt do it as detailed as the pictures but i did get the junk out of the jets

when i took the cover off the first jet the bigger of the jets fell out has anyone ever seen this happen my buddy that was helping said he has never seen that happen

all i had to do was screw it back in and it was fine

weird though

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by patrick12
i didnt do it as detailed as the pictures but i did get the junk out of the jets

when i took the cover off the first jet the bigger of the jets fell out has anyone ever seen this happen my buddy that was helping said he has never seen that happen

all i had to do was screw it back in and it was fine

weird though
Cleaning the jets is the most important part and 80% of the time that is the problem. Never seen a jet being loose...lol They are usually really really tight in there!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM

what nitros is fun and i dont worry about what happens,crap is gonna happen anyways ,have fun while you ride

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM

wow I wish you would post how to change the spark plugs in a step by step.... I know it sounds simple but i have a 1999 CBR 900 rr and have never tried it... i am going to attempt this weekend. any tips??

Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggs
wow I wish you would post how to change the spark plugs in a step by step.... I know it sounds simple but i have a 1999 CBR 900 rr and have never tried it... i am going to attempt this weekend. any tips??
  • Ignore the markings on the spark plug leads and make your own. When you disconnect the plug in chamber 1, mark that lead with a sharpie marker "1" and so on. There's no guarantees the existing markings are correct. But your own markings will be.
  • If you're using a standard deep socket to get to the plugs, the easiest way is to simply drop the socket into the chamber over the plug then attach the extension. Have a magnetic pickup tool handy too.
  • Putting them back in, hand tighten the plugs first. If it seems stuck in the slightest, STOP. If the threads get messed up in the chamber cause the plug wasn't in right and you forced it, it can screw that chamber's compression.
  • If you know any mechanically adept 5 year olds, get him to do it for you. Or wear gloves with knuckle protection cause fitting your hand in there will suck

Last edited by Kuroshio; 01-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM

The service manual form here has a section about syncing the carbs. Chapter 3 pg 13. I know nothing about it, just passing the info on. (BTW it's a large file)

Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 AM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month

alright some one pls help me out. got 98 f3. got all the hoes off. how what else. how does the carb actually disconnect? the boot???

Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM

yea you get a screwdriver and disconnect the boots from the bike. Its kinda tight in there, might be able to just muscle it off. Throttle cables too! make sure those are off..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Clean your carbs