How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to change a motorcycle tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

n i c e. Think I'll give it a try. whats the best place to find tire levers for the cheap??

Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM

any autostore really... advanced auto had a 3 pack of them for 17.99

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the pipe for balancing need to be a certain diameter? And what where ther bearings for? lol
Could i just use a metal pipe thats been cleaned with WD-40? Thank you

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM

i went to the hardware store, got a copper pipe and lubed it up with axle grease and put it between to cabinets that that my dad had in the garage. Same height... worked out well balancing it

Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 PM

The bearings are there to provide less stiction than just the wheel bearings themselves to allow you to balance the wheel more precisely, however i have balanced my tires using jackstands and a steel bar through the wheel it will get you damn close unless your wheel bearings are toast.

if you want a cheap solution for rim protectors while changing the tires, go to the hardware store and buy about a foot length of nylon tubing about a half inch in diameter with a wall thickness of about 1/16th or 3mm. Cut it into 3 - 4 inch sections and slit them length wise. when you put your tire bar under the tire, snap the tubing over the rim just behind it and it will save you alot of scratches....

Also when you are pulling the tire over the rim, set your bars close together and do it before you start pulling the first one up, then work your way around.

Ive changed 5 tires doing this and have gotten it down to about 7 minutes for a 190/50 or 55 rear and about 4 mins for a 120/70 front... use lots of soapy water!!

Cheers

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM

The links are dead

Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by johnnycrash
The bearings are there to provide less stiction than just the wheel bearings themselves to allow you to balance the wheel more precisely, however i have balanced my tires using jackstands and a steel bar through the wheel it will get you damn close unless your wheel bearings are toast.

if you want a cheap solution for rim protectors while changing the tires, go to the hardware store and buy about a foot length of nylon tubing about a half inch in diameter with a wall thickness of about 1/16th or 3mm. Cut it into 3 - 4 inch sections and slit them length wise. when you put your tire bar under the tire, snap the tubing over the rim just behind it and it will save you alot of scratches....

Also when you are pulling the tire over the rim, set your bars close together and do it before you start pulling the first one up, then work your way around.

Ive changed 5 tires doing this and have gotten it down to about 7 minutes for a 190/50 or 55 rear and about 4 mins for a 120/70 front... use lots of soapy water!!

Cheers
what did you use to get out all the air/squeeze the tire from the rim?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM

when I click on it, it directs me to a page that says
The Server failed to retrieve the requested data

Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM

I normally use firefox, and I have watched embedded you tube videos in firefox before.
On a hunch, I tried Internet Explorer and it worked fine. Weird?
Great videos btw.

Quick Reply: How to change a motorcycle tire